Odd fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeer

Reaction score
i just bottled a small beer today and when i pulled the lid on the fermenter i was a bit alarmed that there was absolutely no krausen ring or sign of yeast floculation. i knew i had pitched my yeast when i brewed it two weeks ago and cooled it to 65. i never peek into my fermentors and the lid on this one is not tight enough to observer airlock activity. i just let it go a few weeks per usual and bottle. not real scientific. anyway, i went ahead and racked it into my bottling bucket and checked the gravity and it was 1.005, down from 1.042 so i got a good fermentation from the S05. i have brewed over 100 batches and never seen this before. the bucket was clean, no ring whatsoever. beer tastes good, a little cloudy but seems fine.

no question here, just an observation and anecdote.

US-05 always works slow and steady for me, never blows off and always clears up nicely. I use a carboy, but if I used a bucket with no seal there would be no way to know until the gravity check.

i just bottled a small beer today and when i pulled the lid on the fermenter i was a bit alarmed that there was absolutely no krausen ring or sign of yeast floculation. i knew i had pitched my yeast when i brewed it two weeks ago and cooled it to 65. i never peek into my fermentors and the lid on this one is not tight enough to observer airlock activity. i just let it go a few weeks per usual and bottle. not real scientific. anyway, i went ahead and racked it into my bottling bucket and checked the gravity and it was 1.005, down from 1.042 so i got a good fermentation from the S05. i have brewed over 100 batches and never seen this before. the bucket was clean, no ring whatsoever. beer tastes good, a little cloudy but seems fine.

no question here, just an observation and anecdote.

What was the yeast? Just out of curiosity.

Interesting. I use a lot of aught 5. I have seen a few short krausen. Always been solid yeast for me just the same.

I've found US-05 to be a slow starting but eminently consistent performer that will clear nicely with a solid cold-crash and a couple of weeks of cold-carbing before hitting the keezer.

As long as you don't run it below 65°F, anyway...

Cheers!

I like to use 05 slurry at a qt or ltr per 7.5 gal. batch. That brings me in a little over pitch even with tall brews. I see about a 4 hour lag time.

Back