Octoberfest ag recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hi,

I have not brewed for a few months since we had a new baby and have been looking at my gear sitting for 3months.......IM READY!

I tried a sam adams octoberfest today and it got me in the mood to brew well.....an octoberfest.

Anyone have an AG recipe they'd like ot share?

4lbs Vienna
3lbs Dark Munich
3lbs Pale ale
1/2oz each of Hersbrucker and Tettnang at 60 and 15 minutes for 22.5 IBUs
1 gallon starter of WLP810 SF Lager yeast

Turned out very tasty, didn't need any lagering either, although it continues to get better with time in the bottle. I'm not sure how long that will continue, though.

If you have Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles, that one is a winner.

I am drinking a new one I just made and and loving it. I think I made this recipe up. Nice and malty. I think it compares well against SA (I drink that any time I go out at this time of year). I'd consider replacing the 20 min Hallertauer with Northern Brewer if I really wanted to make a SA clone (I get a bit of minty brightness from SA that I think would be reproduced with the NB).

OG = 1.053
Mash @ 152F

40% Munich malt,
40% Maris Otter,
10% Aromatic
10% Wheat
Hallertauer @ 60min - 14 IBU
Hallertauer @ 20min - 8 IBU
S-23 dry lager yeast

Awesome...I don't have Jamils stuff. What would your recommendations be for a 10 gallon batch?

No Starter necessary?

Thanks

No starter with dry yeast. I used 1 pkt per 5g with this. You should use software to scale my percentages to your system and quantity, but for my 10g batch

40% Munich malt, - 7#
40% Maris Otter, - 7#
10% Aromatic - 2#
10% Wheat - 2#
Hallertauer @ 60min - 14 IBU - 1.75oz - 4.8%AA
Hallertauer @ 20min - 8 IBU - 1.5oz

To make this beer sessionable, mash low and ferment cold, cold lager as long as you can.

I've used Wyeast Bohem Lager #2124 for an ocfest before (if you like liquid). Won a silver medal with that one.

Latest posts

Back