Occasional bigger batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Walker

Chr15
Reaction score
I usually brew batches just over 3 gallons so when complete I get a full 3 gallon keg worth of beer.
My method is as follows....
3 Gallons mash water in 5.5 gallon SS Brewtech kettle which fits nicely on my stove.
BIAB Mash in oven at 150F (ish) - 60 to 90 mins.
Separately heat 2 Gallons to about 155F in regular pan.
Return brew kettle to stove top, lift bag into strainer over the kettle and pour 1 gallon over grains.
Transfer bag to the remaining 1 gallon in separate pan to "dunk" sparge and then combine into brew kettle then boil.

I have this down to where I am very comfortable and (to my taste) am getting great beer and good efficiency (mid 80's.)

Now..... Every so often I would like to be able to make a bigger batch and fill a 5 gallon keg.

I think my best option is to get another brew kettle the same size. Both will fit on my stove and both *just* fit in my oven together for the mash. I would essentially be making two batches and combining in the fermentor (7 Gal. SS brew bucket.)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That's a great idea!

Large kettles are unwieldy, heavy, and chances are it won't fit in your oven.

As long as your stove can boil both at the same time, it gives you ultimate flexibility. You can brew one large batch of the same recipe or 2 smaller batches using 2 different recipes. Use smaller buckets for the smaller recipes so they fit in your ferm chamber. Twice the beer in about the same time as one.

Do you use 3 gallon kegs for the smaller batches?

That's a great idea!

Large kettles are unwieldy, heavy, and chances are it won't fit in your oven.

As long as your stove can boil both at the same time, it gives you ultimate flexibility. You can brew one large batch of the same recipe or 2 smaller batches using 2 different recipes. Use smaller buckets for the smaller recipes so they fit in your ferm chamber. Twice the beer in about the same time as one.

Do you use 3 gallon kegs for the smaller batches?

Yes, that was my thought process. Bigger kettles probably will not fit in my oven and likely not give such a good rolling boil on the stove top. Also they are more expensive for what is really only an occasional use. I still much prefer smaller batches in general but if I have people visiting and staying with us it would be nice to have a little extra beer on hand.
My stove can boil 2 large kettles - in fact sometimes even on the smaller batches I will split a gallon or so off and boil it down further for a "kettle caramelization" - something like a Innis & Gunn clone.
The alternative I considered was to "top up" a normal batch with some water / DME. Never used this before so it would be new territory for me and I'm not sure what (if anything) I would gain/lose? Do I still need to boil and hop the DME?

I use 3 Gallon AEB kegs (2off) and really like them, though not so much the price!! Cleaning is easy for kegs anyway but even more so for =<3 gallon as I can reach all the way to the bottom (not possible on 5 Gallon.)
I do also have 2off 5 gallon kegs which I picked up (used) for the wife's cider. Since that doesn't require any mash/boil AND takes much longer to age, the bigger batches make much more sense.
I have room in the keezer for 1 more keg and was thinking of another 5Gallon. I can still use it for the normal 3 Gallon batches if needed but it would be available for the occasional larger batch when required.

I have an 8 gallon kettle which is a tad small for 5.5-6 gallon full boil all grain batches. I often reduce the 3rd, last runnings in a separate pot on the stove, then top up the main kettle with that before chilling.

Sure you can top up the kettle after the boil to get your volume or even top off the fermentor. You may need to somewhat increase your hop additions that provide bittering, as hop utilization (Alpha Acid isomerization) is reduced with increase in gravity.

You don't need to boil the DME, adding it after flameout is fine, as long as it pasteurizes (remain above 160F for a few minutes). Then chill, add top up water, stir well or "whirlpool" to homogenize, let trub settle out, and transfer to fermentor.

I've heard people liking the MoreBeer Torpedo kegs, they also stack. But they don't make a 3 gallon version, only 1.5, 2.5, and 5 gallon. They're probably in a similar price range as your AEBs.

Agreed, when aging or souring, larger volumes give a much better return of (time) investment.

Another thing to consider for your kettle size is boil off rate. I boil off about a half a gallon per hour, and can handle up to about 12 lbs of grain in my 8 gallon kettle. You can also look into 30 minute boils. I only boil a full hour if required by my hop schedule or if I’m using Pilsner malt.

Here is something I have been doing for the last year or so and it works great.... takes a time or two to dial things in, but I do it all the time now.

I have a 9.5 gallon boil kettle..... and I typically would brew so that I finished with about 6-6.5 gallons which, with losses from kettle and fermenter, would get me 5 gallons into a keg pretty easily. However, when I started brewing more saisons (which take longer..... and Lagers as well)..... it all seemed like a lot of time and effort waiting for that 5 gallons of beer. So, I devised a strategy to brew one batch of beer, but get 2 kegs out of it.

*The day before I brew, I boil 3 gallons of water (with any added minerals for the beer profile).

*I put the boiling water in one of two places.... If I am using my corny keg fermenters, I put 1-1.5 gallons of boiling water in each keg and seal it up.
If I am using my stainless Brew Buckets, I put the boiling water in clean 1/2 gallon mason jars and put lids on and let them seal.
I put the kegs/jars in my fridge to cool

*The next day, I brew one batch of beer to a higher gravity.... basically, I calculate out enough grain to finish with 8 gallons of wort at something like 1.065-1.070 gravity. I do a gentle boil and even top up the boil with wort from mash tun part way through so that I am finishing with 8 gallons of high gravity wort.

* I also hop it to higher levels as if it were 10 gallons of beer instead of 5-6 gallons.

*Chill the wort.

*Then, I add the high gravity wort to the 1-1.5 gallons of preboiled water in the fermenter.... this brings the gravity back down to what I was aiming for in the 1.045-1.060 range depending on dilution rate and gravity.

*So, I end up with two batches of beer in two fermenters from one mash/one boil.

Takes a little to tailor it to your own system, but it works great once you dial it in.

Back