Observing T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
This is the second batch I brewed with T-58. It has a funny behaviour and it repeated in the exact same wort recipe (all plisen extract)

The fermentation takes off within 12 hours and you get a nice fermentation big krausen which drops by the 3rd day. Bubble slows way down by th 5th day. And you start seeing flocculation. The wort near the top starts clearing.
Then 1.5 weeks into the clearing stop and all the wort gets cloudy again. I did not notice it before, but this time CO2 bubbles quickly. There is a think white yeast layer over the original trub. I guess the high flocculating yeast fell out and then the low flocculating ones reproduced some more.

Last time I bottled at 4 weeks -- and it hadn't cleared. This left a lot off yeast in the bottle, but no explosions -- actually the carbonation was nice. The beer did crystal clear by themselves at room temp. (They clouded in the fridge -- chill haze).

This time I might just wait it out until it clears before bottling. You think there will be enough yeast ofter clearing for bottle carbonation?

Back