Oatmeal Stout - Significant lag time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished my second BIAB batch, an oatmeal stout I think went quite well. My OG was quite high compared to the highest efficiency stat from the recipe kit. Mine was about .03-.05 more than their highest efficiency listed of 1.050 at 75% efficiency.

I did a starter with a smack pack of Irish Ale yeast. I let it raise to room temp for a day after activating the nutrients and it got quite swollen. Popped it into my sanitized flask on the stir plate for 2 days, then pitched right from the stir plate/flask into my new Spike CF10/TC-100 conical setup (first use). My temps have never been this accurate so I'm not sure how that affects lag time. Usually I see activity within 12 hours, but my temps have likely always been on the high side.

Right now my fermenter is sitting at 68F with no sign from the airlock and no visible yeasty consumption in the sight glass, and it is closing in on 24 hours after pitching yeast. I know most people say wait at least three days before determining if there's a potential issue, and even then there's nothing that can really be done besides repitching, but is this a typical lag time at 67F-68F?

Regards

I use wyeasts Irish Ale a good bit. It's always a slow starter for me.

How much wort did you put in the 10 gallon fermenter, 5 gallons?

I use wyeasts Irish Ale a good bit. It's always a slow starter for me.

How much wort did you put in the 10 gallon fermenter, 5 gallons?

Yes, a little over 5 gallons is what I ended up with, there’s quite a bit of trub already visible in the sight glass with sparse wort, no sign of yeast. The temperature probe on my CF10 is in the spot where the sample valve usually is due to the half batch size. It’s definitely covered by wort.

If it were me, I'd let it do it's thing. At least for 48 hours or so. Slow yeast with big headspace and lower temps (than you are accustom to).

My guess - it's fine.

Here is a potential issue... My CF10 has a sight glass installed vertically near the bottom with the trub dump butterfly valve underneath. I've discovered a small leak from the sight glass... I tightened it with my hands as best I could but when I use the leverage from the trub dump it can still be tightened more. This makes me worry my batch might become contaminated from that small leak. I'm talking a few drops over the course of 24 hours :(

Some of the wort has caramelized and sealed any sort of leak but a couple drops still seem to escape.

Cause for concern?

Edit : besides possible infection, looks like fermentation has started a little over the 24 hour mark! Activity is building in the sight glass. Hopefully this goes well! Going to add some cold brew coffee before I bottle and let it age for a few months.

Last edited:
I don’t think that small leak will be a source of contamination in primary since the fermentation will generate outward pressure. It would be a good idea to transfer it to another fermenter or keg when fermentation Is nearly finished.

I don’t think that small leak will be a source of contamination in primary since the fermentation will generate outward pressure. It would be a good idea to transfer it to another fermenter or keg when fermentation Is nearly finished.

seems as though there’s no more leak at least at the sight glass. I filled the CF10 with water multiple times and inspected it before brewing so I didn’t expect any issues but alas, if it can go wrong...

Does the following video look like a slow fermentation? That’s all trub squeezed down into the sight glass at the bottom. Controlling temperature with the TC-100 has been a breeze which is concerning since I use a cooler with water and frozen water bottles... really no heat output on this fermentation.

That’s how it’s been for a little over a day. The problem is I have yet to see any airlock activity whatsoever. I have 5 gallons in a CF10 which has a total capacity of 13 gallons I think. Perhaps the headspace simply hasn’t allowed for pressure to escape yet? I don’t think I have a leak at the top of the CF10, at least I hope...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v9x87d4rdoc43d/Video May 24, 3 18 08 PM.mov?dl=0

Last edited:
If its fermenting, and it appears to be doing so, it will be exhaling gas. The headspace would get filled reasonably quick in my experience of fermenting 2.5G inside of a 6.5G fermenter. There's probably a small leak somewhere on the top where gas is escaping instead of through the airlock. It's obviously more common in plastic buckets, but it probably doesn't take much for a clamp or a gasket to be slightly offset and allowing air to flow. You've already noticed one leak, and its your first use so there isn't anything to compare it with yet. I wouldn't worry about it, but inspect it closer when the batch is done.

Some of the wort has caramelized and sealed any sort of leak but a couple drops still seem to escape.

Cause for concern?
I've had this a few different times around my fermonster spigot. It makes me edgy to see it, but hasn't caused any problems. Apparently sticky wort makes a great sealant.

Back