Oatmeal Stout observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout Friday night. It called for 2 1/2lbs of specialty grains, 1 lb of flaked oat, and 7 lbs of dme. I boiled the mixture in 3 gallons of water- and had to take it off the boil about 5 times bc of possible boil overs. Needless to say, I think this is the highest concentration of sugar/malts I've brewed with yet.

When cooling the wort, I usually get a lot of the sediment to fall to the bottom of the pot, so syphoning is pretty easy. With the stout, I waited about 25-30 min. for it to cool then syphoned it into my primary. The wort was so thick- almost like syrup- that I had trouble using my auto syphon. It kept getting clogged. Eventually, I did get the wort all in- but I did't expect it to be so thick. Is this because it is a stout and has the oat meal?

It started fermenting almost immediately and is a beautiful sight in the glass primary.

So what I was curious about, is this the normal consistency of a stout? My OG was 1.05, which I thought seemed a little low, but not too worried about.

Thanks!

The oatmeal stout I had a SG of only a few points higher, but I used 0.5# oatmeal. It came out great but took a while to age. It's very nice and hearty now. It reminded me of stirred miso soup in the kettle when it was cooling--very thick.

Back