Oatmeal stout lacks head....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryHoppinMad

Reaction score
I have brewed a number of light to medium-bodied all-grain stouts the past few years. Some have the typical head of finely beaded foam, but most did not. I generally do not have this problem with any beer except for my stouts, particularly oatmeal. They have the right carbonation, but what rises from the poured beer is a fizzy, large-bubble layer of suds that quickly dissipates, just like soda pop. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Flaked barley is another popular choice.

Oats have more lipids in them that other grains. I've read that that can sometimes hurt head retention.

Flaked barley is another popular choice.

Oats have more lipids in them that other grains. I've read that that can sometimes hurt head retention.

Yep! I started using flaked barley in my oatmeal stout and I get lots of head that lasts and lasts every time.

I just posted my oatmeal stout recipe that I've brewed and rebrewed a couple of times now, so take a look and see if it's similar to yours. I love the texture and "creamy" mouthfeel from the oats, and the flaked barley gives great head retention. The head is a brown-ish head while the beer color is black, and the lacing is tan. It's great fun to drink- I'm having one right now.

What say you all to the relative differences between carafoam and carapils? Is it merely color, flavor. Would you call them interchangeable as a means of upping the dextrines and adding head retention. Or am I mistaking their uses.

What say you all to the relative differences between carafoam and carapils? Is it merely color, flavor. Would you call them interchangeable as a means of upping the dextrines and adding head retention. Or am I mistaking their uses.

I think carafoam= carapils= dextrine malt. Just different maltsters.

Thanks guys. I knew of the benefits of the cara malt in head retention, but the recipe I used did not have that, although I used it in different styles. I may try the flaked barley next time.

I no longer use oats for this reason. I switched to Flaked Barley and am very happy with the improvement.

I didn't like my Oatmeal Stout - well it was OK, but the Flaked Barley one is heaps better! If I ever get to try a decent Oatmeal Stout, I will give it another shot, but until then.........

Back