Oatmeal stout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benflath

Reaction score
Just popped my first oatmeal stout and it's not too great. Not horrible, just over sweet and terrible head retention. I already know a few changes I'll be making for next time, but I'd appreciate the input on how to improve it (specifically head retention, since I thought flaked oats helped with that).

~6.5 gal pre-boil
5 gal fermenter
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017

9 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs flaked oats
1.2 lbs crystal 15L
0.5 lbs roasted barley
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
0.5 lbs black patent
2oz Willamette @ 60min
Wyeast Irish Ale yeast
4oz cane sugar for bottle priming

Thanks everyone!

The recipe looks pretty good. To improve head retention, you can try adding a small amount of flaked barley which should improve head retention and is a fairly traditional stout ingredient.

Thanks, that will definitely make the next batch, whenever my fermenters are free again. I think it's 3rd in the brew queue...

Many people say Maris Otter is the way to go for stouts, but I like to keep it local. Maybe a little Victory? Some people have talked about "layering" the roasted barley with 1/2 light and 1/2 dark, so that may come in to the next version, too, as well as cutting back on the crystal.

Bonus: my next gravity readings should be easier and more accurate because my brother got me a refractometer for my birthday! Next family gathering it will be my beer against his cider. Best family rivalry ever! If only we had a 3rd brother making wine...

Latest posts

Back