Oak sticks on a pinot or other reds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS_35

Reaction score
Question is how many oak sticks/chips would you use to oak your reds or other wines. I plan on making some pinot from concentrate and I have toasted oak sticks that I'll want to use for oaking. How many per gallon and for how long? My sticks are about 3/4 x 3/4. Toasted not charred. Or does anyone know where I might be able to buy a quality barrel. I didn't think you wanted charred barrels so idk how that works. I would think you don't want them charred. 5 gal barrels would be what I'd need.

The amount of oak to add to your wine depends on how much oak to you like, obviously, if you like a wine that has a lot of oak you could add 2 oz of oak cubes per 5 gallons of wine, this would replicate the amount of oak that a new medium toast barrel would impart to your wine.
I would stick with medium toasted oak spirals or staves, as far as purchasing an oak barrel, it depends on where you are located, personally, I get mine from M&M wine grapes or Musto wine grapes as it is called now in Hartford Conn.
I prefer medium toasted Hungarian barrels, Vadai is one of the most popular cooperages followed by Zemplin barrels, I find that the Hungarian barrels really help to "smooth out" a wine.
I hope that this helps.

to be fair.. you can put in tons of oak but remember to taste it often to decide when it has enough oak :)

But for how long? 30 days, or am I just to keep sampling until I think it enough. Is there a basic standard. I don't want to pull then too soon.

If you're serious about oak I recommend Barrelmill oak spirals. Reserve 25-30% of your wine and oak the remainder. Oak adjuncts are not like barrels and infusion can be maximized quickly. That means it's very easy to over oak, and that's why you reserved. Once you achieve the profile that's right for you pull the spiral. Age for another 3-6 months, taste then blend in your reserve. You'll be relieved to have used quality oak, reserved 1 lot and aged your wine. Cheers

Now you are getting into the "art" of winemaking.

Oak is very subjective. Do you like a lot of oak in your wine? Many wines are being made without any oak.

Its up to you as the winemaker.

Helps a lot. Don't think I'll be buying oak barrels anytime soon. Looks like a lot of $. Will definitely try the spirals

Now you are getting into the "art" of winemaking.

Oak is very subjective. Do you like a lot of oak in your wine? Many wines are being made without any oak.

Honestly I don't really know how much oak I like. I am a fan of commercial pinot noir. At this point that's all I know. Also a big fan of reisling and gewertztraminer for whites. So I guess I'll go with the suggestion of 2 oz per five gallon. Time frame I'll start with it 30 days. Maybe keep some out to for blending back. Was really thinking of keeping it small like 2 gallon. Already have 4 gal reisling and 3 gal blackberry and I'm running out of space and bottles

Back