Oak in holiday ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamw

Reaction score
I'm creating a holiday ale for a local competition. I've never done one before, but I wanted to try something that may set myself apart from the pack.

Has anyone used oak (cubes, chips, etc) in a holiday ale. I was thinking about soaking some in dark rum (Cruzan) and using them in secondary, replacing the vanilla some add to their holiday beers.

Is this foolish or might it work?

I'm creating a holiday ale for a local competition. I've never done one before, but I wanted to try something that may set myself apart from the pack.

Has anyone used oak (cubes, chips, etc) in a holiday ale. I was thinking about soaking some in dark rum (Cruzan) and using them in secondary, replacing the vanilla some add to their holiday beers.

Is this foolish or might it work?

Typically oaking takes time and it will depend on how much time you have to let it sit on the oak. Shortest I've ever oaked anything was a few weeks and it was barely noticeable. However I like the idea of oak instead of vanilla but that's just because I dont like vanilla.

That may be the problem. Entry is due January 16th. I was planning on having the oak soaked in the rum for the secondary. I planned on secondary for 3-4 weeks.

Perhaps of I used chips it may work a little faster? The Cruzan dark rum I'm planning on using had a somewhat vanilla like flavour (I use it in place of vanilla in banana bread).

How much oak would I typically use for 5gal?

I think when I did it for 3 weeks I used a pound of chips. The flavor was there but very subtle. Maybe if you double the amount of oak it could be done in 3 weeks. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in soon.

I've used 1 oz medium chips for two weeks in 5 gal and it was overwhelmingly oaky for over a month in the bottle. A pound sounds high. I'd say your timeline is fine if it's chips but taste after a few days and often enough to know when it's over the line, then pull the chips. Alternatively, you can soak the chips in the rum for those few weeks and add that rum to taste at bottling. This would allow perhaps more control. I think I would do this method for a winter warmer if it were me. I like the idea of that added "warming" quality of the rum. Good luck!

I've used 1 oz medium chips for two weeks in 5 gal and it was overwhelmingly oaky for over a month in the bottle. A pound sounds high. I'd say your timeline is fine if it's chips but taste after a few days and often enough to know when it's over the line, then pull the chips. Alternatively, you can soak the chips in the rum for those few weeks and add that rum to taste at bottling. This would allow perhaps more control. I think I would do this method for a winter warmer if it were me. I like the idea of that added "warming" quality of the rum. Good luck!

Sorry I meant ounces not pounds.

I oaked a holiday ale a few years ago and it came out fantastic. I did an ounce of chunks for 2.5 months. Chips are supposedly faster but don't leave as "complex" an oak flavor. Might be fine in a holiday ale that has it's own complexity. Good luck!

Back