Oak in a barley wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
It's getting near that time where I'll rack my barley wine to secondary. Toasted American oak sounds like a nice flavor addition. Anybody done this?

American style BW
IBU 110
FG 1.020
ABV 12.5%
Dry hopping

I used an ounce for six months in an American BW (FG ~1.090) and it was way too strong. I recommended boiling the oak chips and using .25 to 0.5 oz. I simply didn't do any research.

You should do it! I don't have any experience on how much to add, but all my favorite barley wines are heavily oaked...

Probably best to hunt down an idea of how much oak per gallon (and amount of time) and then separate off a little for the oak. Or break a 5 gal batch into 5 parts and age each differently regarding type of oak and amounts of time. Could be a fun experiment.

Probably best to hunt down an idea of how much oak per gallon (and amount of time) and then separate off a little for the oak.

I like this idea. I used so many friggin pounds of grain, yeast (and propane!) that I dont want to regret experimenting on the whole batch. Now to figure out how much oak for 2 gallons People here say be careful and not over do it. This will sit for many months and I think some have written that the oak flavors fade with age

Did you ferment 6 months? was it in a secondary?

I had it ferment for 4 weeks in primary then racked to another carboy to bulk age for six months.

I like the suggestion of splitting it and only oaking a portion. I regret not doing that. One, because it would be great to have something to compare the oaking to ceteris paribus. Two because I made the oak too strong and now I don't really like the barley wine!

Good luck, it should be a fun experiment.
:mug:

Back