Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john langley

Reaction score
Greetings;

I misread the instructions on my wine expert kit, and didn't add the oak chips (two small packs) until after I racked into the 6 gal glass carboy. They were supposed to spend their time in primary.

What effect do we think this will have ?
Did I ruin the batch ?

The wine chips will still provide the oak character that you are looking for. There is little difference between adding them during primary or sometime later.

Yes, I find some oak pieces can work into the air lock during the high end stage of fermentation and plug up the plumbing, Q tip works good for clearing the plug. Oak in secondary will float for 2 days then settle. I have a Leon Millot that had oak stick in 2nd for 5 months, unsure if a Leon should be oaked but this batch is getting bottled in 2 months after a year in carboy and sample tastes good.

I only use Oak post fermentation - nothing but success. :)

Cheers & good luck!

When added to primary, do the oak chips need to be punched down into the wine multiple times a day, like you have to with grape skins?

I am just about to pitch a Winexpert double noir that came with oak sawdust, so what I'm reading here is to just toss the sawdust, get some chips and add during secondary. Is this a correct assessment?

I am just about to pitch a Winexpert double noir that came with oak sawdust, so what I'm reading here is to just toss the sawdust, get some chips and add during secondary. Is this a correct assessment?

Yeah, usually the "sawdust" gets tossed in during the initial fermentation. I personally find the sawdust disgusting, don't know why, but one benefit is to provide additional nucleation sites for the yeast which helps with attenuation. I usually throw the sawdust away (or use it in my smoker) and add oak chips instead. For aging I prefer oak cubes or spirals for tannin extraction.

If you forgot the sawdust in the early fermentation, it's not a big deal. If you think the wine needs more oak after clarification just add more than normal, to taste, during the aging.

But the easiest way to improve your wine is to let it age for an extended time in bulk. Those timelines for completion are arbitrary and are MINIMUM times. Six to eight weeks for whites, several months for reds. The more expensive the kit, the more it will improve with proper aging, but any wine will show improvement. Dose with an additional 1/4 tsp of meta, then top off the carboy with a similar wine to limit oxygen exposure. Keep the airlock filled with water/santizer. Then LEAVE. IT. ALONE. in a cool, dark location.

After bottling wait 6 to 8 weeks minimum before serving. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Your wine will thank you. You're welcome.

Brooo Brother

Back