Oak chippings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithdib

Reaction score
Hi

Who uses oak chippings?

What quantity do you use, how long do you leave them in?

Keithdib said:
Hi

Who uses oak chippings?

What quantity do you use, how long do you leave them in?

There are various styles, chips, cubes, spiral sticks. The you have different oaks, American, French, Hungarian. On top of that, there are different toast levels.

So, pick which style you want, add a little at a time and taste your wine every week or so until you get the taste you want.

I'm doing a cab now. I chose American oak chips, with a light toast. I'm going to add two ounces and taste in two weeks. (5 gallon batch)

novalou said:
There are various styles, chips, cubes, spiral sticks. The you have different oaks, American, French, Hungarian. On top of that, there are different toast levels.

So, pick which style you want, add a little at a time and taste your wine every week or so until you get the taste you want.

I'm doing a cab now. I chose American oak chips, with a light toast. I'm going to add two ounces and taste in two weeks. (5 gallon batch)

Thanks novalou

I have American Oak, there chippings. I don't know 'toast' level though..

I will add a few and see how it goes

I put a red oak stick in every dry red I make. While cutting and splitting my yield for the winter I segregate a nice chunk and cut some oak furring strips using a circular saw, then place in oven at 275 for 4 hrs to kill contamination.

Back