Oak and Brett in Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augie21

Reaction score
I sent this email to The Mad Fermentationist (who I believe is also on this forum), but I thought maybe some of you all have some experience, thoughts, opinions, etc on the matter. So here it is:

I have some questions that I'm getting very mixed opinions on regarding the use (methods, etc.) of Brett. Specifically, I brewed an Old Ale recently (that's really pushing into the Barleywine range with an SG of 1.094) that I'd like to split. I would like to both oak and use WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii with one half. I think with some time the non oaked/brett batch will be great, but I'd like to try to mimic something with classic Old Ale character.

So on to the question part. The initial yeast has fermented the beer down to 1.030. It's been resting at the gravity for a few days now and i think the primary fermentation is done. Is the brett going to be able to do much at this point? I know brett is capable of breaking down more complex sugars, but I'm afraid that perhaps I should have added the brett sooner. Also, I've read some conflicting information about whether or not to make a starter if I do add brett. It sounds like stressing the yeast will produce better character. My main concern is that there may not be enough fermentables left for the brett to get hold of and do their thing.

I would assume that I should take the beer off of the current yeast cake before adding hte brett. Is that a correct assumption?

Lastly, if I go ahead with this, it will be my first time using a wild strain. Do I need to contain the fermentor? As in, will I need to worry about airborne bugs from the airlock? I'm assuming no, but I'd hate to contaminate my house (though, my wife makes bread and would probably love the idea of some wild stuff floating around the house).

Since the release of his book, Oldsock probably has a ton of people sending him emails. He might not be able to even read all of them.

Submitting a question in the Lambic forum would more likely get input from him.

My thoughts/suggestions:

- 1.030 seems like a high finishing gravity. That is only about 60% attenuation. What yeast did you use?

- 1.030 leaves plenty of fermentables for Brett.

- Rack off the primary yeast for long-term aging. Brett will take a long time (6 months at least). Adding brett in secondary is the right thing to do.

- Just add the vial. Do not make a starter.

Brett is just yeast. Don't worry about it. It is pretty much the same as your regular sacc yeast. Both are airborne naturally, but they do not become airborne due to closed beer fermenting.

Thanks for the response. Oldsock also got back to my email as well and you both said similar things. I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

As for he FG, It seems a bit high to me as well. I used wyeast 1099 Whitbread for this one. I use beer smith to help with the calculations. According to BS, the SG at 1.090 should have dropped to about 1.026, so with an actual SG of 1.094 the current FG makes sense. But, it hasn't budged in 4-5 days, so I'm just assuming it's done. The samples taste good, if maybe a bit young.

I added Brett to half my barley wine about 4months ago. The FG was 1.024. It does seem like it's going too take some time, but the samples also seem to taste smoother. About a month ago I took a sample and it was down to 1.020, so I think it'll be a few more months before I bottle.

Back