o rings on used 'new' kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Just got my 2 keg with dual regulator setup from kegconnection.com. Question...it came with the used but cleaned and inspectied kegs and it came with replacement 'o' rings. Do you guys normally use the 'o' rings that are on the keg, or should the rings be changed first?

if they look ok I would use them....you said they sent you replacement o rings? Is there something wrong with them?

if they look ok I would use them....you said they sent you replacement o rings? Is there something wrong with them?

no, kegconnections sends a new o-ring set with there kits. I'd use the ones on the kegs first untill they need replaced

No, they just include replacement rings with all their kegs. They were shipped pressurized with gas inside. I have a Pale Ale that I'd like to be my first kegged beer. I plan on kegging it later today if I can get my gas tank filled. Is having it carbed and drinkable by Saturday realistic with a keg? Thanks!

I would use the old ones first....I finally replaced the small rings on the connection fittings when mine started to look cracked.....

but I still haven't replaced any of the big orings on my lids....maybe I'm just lucky.....i've been using the same kegs for 4 years and over 100 batches

When I bought my kegconnection set, they replaced the ones on the kegs and sent a spare set. So it's possible the ones you have on your keg are new.

My "A" grade kegs from kegnconnection arriced with new rings already installed. They also shipped a second set of rings for each keg. On the "B" grade kegs the rings may not be new and I recoomend replacing these if there is any trace of soda smell in your kegs. I imagine you were shipped "A" grade kegs if you bought a set-up from them and these should be ready to go after a mild cleaning and sanitizing.

Whenever I get a "new" used keg I make a habit of rebuilding it by replacing all the o-rings. Once you lose 20# of CO2 due to a leaky lid o-ring you'll see the light :)

New seal sets are inexpensive compared to refilling gas. Most places are $3 or $4, I wouldn't risk it unless the the reconditioned kegs have new seals and the "extra" is just that.

I got a keg from AHS that still had a little splash of Sprite at the bottom. I took off all the o-rings and visually inspect them: they were in great shape and I think they were new. But the lid o-ring had picked up a very very clear Sprite smell, so I chucked it and used the replacement.

I'd replace. Even if the old ones still hold pressure, they probably smell like pop syrup. I always re-cleaned and replaced all o-rings on my kegs before the first use. They are so cheap i don't see the point in waiting until they fail to replace.

I personally would replace them. Who knows how long the old ones have been in service or what the keg used to hold? The new o-rings you got should last for several years. Why not just pop 'em on? Not to mention when I first get a keg I like to disassemble it and sanitize all the parts that are internal or would not contact sanitizer through normal rinsing.

Back