O.G. is off and I don't know why.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXhophead

Reaction score
So using the info I gathered from "the joy of homebrewing", I decided to make a pale ale. The book said to use 6.5lbs of light malt extract and 1/2lb of crystal malt for a O.G. of 1.044-1.056. Since the place where I get my ingrdients only sells in whole pounds I use 6lbs of the extraxt and 1lb of the crystal malt. The O.g. came out to be 1.031. It shouldn't be this far off right? I did fill my primary fermenter with about 1/2 gallon of too much water but it still shouldn't be that far off right. The book said that 1/2 gallon of water should have only decressed it by around .003. So what gives?

Did you top the wort off with some water at the end of the boil? If so did you shake it really good before taking the OG?

I've had that happen if you topped with water, make sure it is all mixed up or you'll get a dilluted hydro sample.

It is very difficult to get the wort and the top off water in and extract batch to mix easily. When doing an extract batch I stir vigorously for a minimum 5 minuted before taking a grav reading. It's a common issue. It won't affect the beer, during fermentation it will mix together fine.

It's also really hard to actually miss the OG in an extract recipe....so most of us just go buy what the recipe says it should be.

Is there a way to test the alcohol content when the beer is finished since I got a bad first reading. I just put it in the secondary fermenter today and it should be done in about a week.

There's no easy direct way, but if you got all the extract and grain in there, your gravity should be close. Here's a calculation

For liquid extract:

6 lb extract * 36 points / lb = 216 points
1 lb crystal malt * 34 points / lb = 34 points

Total: 250 gravity points / 5.5 gallons = 45.5 , sou you have approximately 1.045 wort to start with. You can use that value with later hydrometer readings to get a fine estimate of the ABV.

If you're using dry extract, then you'd be at 6*44 + 1*34=298 points / 5.5 gal = 54, or 1.054 OG. Now, you can take hydrometer reading after ferment to determine the final ABV.

If you have access to a GC (Gas Chromatography) instrument (as I am lucky enough to) you could measure the exact alchohol content. That's the only accurate measure I know of. Otherwise just go with it! I should be ok from my experience. I have boosted my brews with corn sugar..although probably not the best thing to do unless you just want more alcohol. I brought one from 1.040 to 1.050 with a cup of corn sugar and it turned out good.

Doesn't your recipe list the OG of your beer? Like I said unless you made a 5.5 gallon batch and the recipe was calculated for 5 gallons, then you hit your OG...It is nearly impossible NOT to hit in an extract with grains recipe..
Or you could type your recipe into Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

And it will tell you what your OG should be...We've all been there, we've all had an extract recipe's hydro readingg look wonky...and if you look around for OTHER "I missed my OG" threads on here you you will see the same advice given about going what's on the paper...

Back