NZ Session IPA (5Gal AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
4.5# 2-row
3.0# Vienna
1.0# White Wheat
1.0# Munich

60 Min .5 oz Kohatu 6.5%AA
15 Min .5 oz Motueka 7.0%AA
15 Min .3 oz Nelson Sauvin 12.5%AA
15 Min .2 oz Kohatu
10 Min .75 oz Motueka
10 Min .5 oz Nelson Sauvin
10 Min .25 oz Kohatu
0 Min .75 oz Motueka
0 Min .5 oz Nelson Sauvin
0 Min .25 oz Kohatu

5 Days 1.0 oz Motueka
5 Days .7 oz Nelson Sauvin
5 Days .33 oz Kohatu

US-05

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.008
IBU: 42
SRM: 4
ABV: 4.4%

I’m going for a layered approach here with a 3:2:1ish ratio of Motueka, NS, and Kohatu. I want a relatively dry and refreshing summer session IPA that doesn’t leave me kicking my dogs and falling off the porch. Any thoughts on what I have planned here?

The combination of hops should work just fine.

2 weeks ago, I drank a Pale Ale made with Nelson Sauvin, Pacific Gem, Waimea, Pacific Jade and it was really good. Very crisp, dry and really pleasent aromas and flavours. I really dig all these NZ hops.

I think yours will also turn great: lemony, winey and piney.

Looks good. Be aware that sauvin is very strong and can over power a beer.

Looks good. Be aware that sauvin is very strong and can over power a beer.

I've yet to brew with NS but have read that a repeatedly. What do you think of the placement and quantity i have them at? I don't plan to have them on the heat for too long.

Update:

This beer turned out really good. It was easily the best beer I've brewed this year, probably the best beer I've brewed in a few years.

NS didn't over power and there's really nice harmony between the three hops. Nice tropical notes with a lively citrus finish. It's pretty crisp because of the malt bill and the low finishing gravity. The IBU's work well under both of those conditions.

Hi- i like the sound of this beer, can i get the volumes of water you used?

This is based off a 66% grain efficiency, which is a little low so you may need to drop a little grain to keep the OG low.

I use brewtoad's mash water calculator. It's simple but works for me. Follow the link to get specific volumes.

It defaults to 155 degree mash, I mashed at 152. Changing the temps won't affect the volume, however.

I will have a look at this calculator- the volumes are something i am still trying to get the hang of.
Thanks!

Back