NYT article on American beer duopoly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/..._th_20170408&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63287732

The Sherman Antitrust act of 1890 is as relevant today as it was in 1890, but seems to be increasingly set aside in favor of ever larger business. Our many American auto manufacturing companies of the 20'th century have been reduced to just a few. We have interstate banking creeping across the country gobbling up small local institutions, pharmaceutical companies buying each other out and gouging the public, insurance companies, tech companies................. And of course beer companies. The ability of craft brewers to extend their market is being reduced by the control of distributors by the two large dominant companies, stifling growth and innovation, and they are being bought up. I used to drink a pale ale made by Widmer, the company was bought out by Coors and the pale ale is no longer made, nor would I buy it, knowing Coors now is the manufacturer.
Those of us who buy craft beer off the shelf need to become educated on who actually makes it, and boycott these pseudo craft beers in support of our craft brewing industry, most of whom began as home brewers.

H.W.

I was just thinking we were overdue for our monthly "Occupy!™" thread

Next up: "Consistency!™" counter-arguments

I'll drink what I like, don't care who makes or distributes it. I'm at an establishment & the only "craft" beer they have happens to be Devil's Backbone, I will drink it. They make a great Vienna Lager

Back