Nylon Washer for inside converted MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
So my attempt to find a 5/8 SS fender washer went bellyup. I did find a 1/2 nylon washer that I can drillout to 5/8 but am wondering about issues with it. It'll get scratched and will that result in places for contamination? What can I wash it with before each use?

I started a thread yesterday looking for an extra SS washer. One response said to find a 1/2 SS washer and drill it out. My only concern with that, aside from knowing I can get one, is whether or not that washer is coated with SS or solid SS. If it's coated and you drill it, it's likely to be corrosive material under the coating.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it. The MLT is pre-boil so any nasties will get killed off in the boil. I would just use the nylon one.

EDIT: Also since you can't find a 5/" washer, what about skipping the washer and using a flared nut??

I can't find a single 5/8 nut, washer or wing nut in brass or SS at Home Depot, Lowes or local hardware stores. Everything seems to top out at 1/2 in.

I think I'll go with the nylon and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back