Nylon mesh over Brewzilla pump inlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
Even with a hop spider and grain bag around my malt pipe, I'm getting too much debris through my Brewzilla pump. I was thinking about cutting a small piece of a nylon hop bag and clamping it over the pump inlet bolt with a stainless steel hose clamp to make a filter. I tested it with a whole hop bag and it seems to function well (picture), but my fear is that it will get too hot during boil since it's so close to the burner. Any experience or thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210213_165829.jpg
    20210213_165829.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 194
Wondering what size Brewzilla you have? Is this a new problem or is this early in your Brewzilla EBrewing experience?

At what stage of the mash are you getting too much debris through the pump?

I've had a Robobrew 3.0 and now use a Guten 70 Litre ( similar to a brewzilla 65) and have found the wort is running very clear by the end of mash.
Certainly not had to contemplate putting the mash pipe in a grain bag.

What is your graincrush like? Not dust I assume otherwise you would probably be complaining about stuck sparge and poor lautering.

Will try to help you, wouldn't recommend the mesh over the drain inlet.

I cannot say how a mesh bag would work but I have used a stainless mesh sink strainer with success. I wedge the bent side between the pump inlet and the kettle wall. I have only tried this with 1 brew so far that had 3oz of hops in the boil. I had no clogging tossing the hops directly in the kettle with no hop spider or bags. I would think your mesh bag would probably be successful especially since the mesh on it is finer.

20210214_150325.jpg

Thanks! I also picked up a sink strainer to try out, glad to hear it works!

I am using a 35L 3.1.1. I crush my grain at LHBS, but usually double crush since their mill is pretty loose. I have not had any issues with stuck sparges or anything like that. I bought my Brewzilla used and it came with a plate chiller. My issue is that the plate chiller is clogging from grain debris and not functioning properly. Otherwise my wort is clear, recirculation flows well, no other issues. If I was using the immersion chiller I wouldn't worry about it, but its trying to get 0 debris into the plate chiller that I am concerned with. I use the top plate and I pull the hose out of the mash before I turn off pump, so no suck back. I think its mostly just the finer particles and flour bits from the grain that are getting in there, which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the plate chiller. I'll happily take any advice.

Hmm, I have no experience with a plate chiller, just used the immersion and then changed to a counterflow chiller.

So the issue is during boil and afterwards not the mash?

Are you hopping (pellets or whole ) directly into the wort or into a hop spider or the malt pipe repurposed with the grain bag on?

Do you have the drilled plate with the legs or feet on that sits on the bottom of the brewzilla ( it is separate from the screens in the malt pipe)?

How do you like the counterflow chiller by the way?

I suppose the issue comes when I get to chilling, but I imagine there's a good bit of grain debris getting into the bottom of the machine during the mash. Not enough to cause an issue with the pump or anything like that. I do use a hop spider. I do have the false bottom plate that sits above the pump. The last brew, I used the grain bag around the malt pipe after seeing a couple of people on YouTube doing it - it seems to help catch any grain bits that go through the handle holes or around the lip of the malt pipe, etc.. However, I did end up with a good bit of gunk built up on the false bottom plate on my last brew, and I don't think it was hop debris, so it must be the fine particles from the mash (is this normal?). With the plate chiller - it cools great at first, then the flow starts to choke and it doesn't cool well at all. I flushed it out after brewing and it had a lot of small grain particles in it.

Not sure if I'm interpreting your reply correctly. You mention that grain bits are going through the handle holes or around the lip of the malt pipe.

This sounds like an overflowing malt pipe, is the liquid coming over the lip of malt pipe and going out through the handle holes? Is a lot going down the central pipe as well?
I normally adjust the flow rate so that the recirculating wort is about 1cm above the grain bed, often have to start with quite a slow flow, otherwise I would end up with either the wort going down the overflow ( the central tube) or as you say over the sides and thru the handle holes. Only got close to this once with a really big grain bill for a barley wine ( and it was all a right pain). With the overflow there would be lots of little bits of grain parts being washed overboard so to speak.
Regarding the gunk on the false bottom I used to get this often in a bit of a cone but there was also debris below this when I lifted out for cleaning and a bit of stuff stuck ( but not burnt ) on the bottom where the element was.

The trouble is that the hot and cold break form as you chill and so I suppose they could gum up the plate chiller especially as thats the coolest place.
Maybe the brewzilla pump isn't strong enough as some people use another pump that might be more gutsy and can keep pushing the grain bits out, but as I say no experience with plate chiller.

Regarding how I get on with the counterflow, I've only used it 4 times and changed to it so that I could whirlpool better. The Guten doesn't have that false bottom so I have a trubtrapper and helical coil to catch the hops and rest of the break. The pump tube is attached to the counterflow chiller and then I put the outflow into the brewzilla ( or whatever your kit is called) via the tap ( using it as valve in a way ), I fitted a half inch elbow and a quarter inch connector to the inside of the kettle. This makes the whirlpool, then when whirlpooling done and it's all chilled and ready to stand I disconnect the tubing to empty the counterflow back into the kettle and then can pump out into the fermentation vessel or you can just disconnect from the tap ( kinking the tube to stop disaster ) and then put that tube end into the ferment vessel and pump out the kettle ( don't have to have the cooling on once at temp ). I seem to get the kettle nearly empty maybe 250ml left inside and hardly any trub crossing into the ferment vessel.
Cleaning I run the hose pipe thru the wort part of the counterflow and use the water to start cleaning the kettle ( brewzilla) . Then I use the hot water captured from the chilling poured back in to the brewzilla and some pbw recirculating thru the brewzilla and counterflow and tap so it all gets cleaned. Pretty easy although some plumbing fiddling in comparison to immersion chiller.
Flora discusses chillers on this video and has concerns about her plate chiller link
and she reaches out for tips.

Ahh sorry, should have been more clear. I just meant on any brew, when dumping in grain and mashing in, it isn't hard to spill some grain around the lip of the malt pipe (which then gets down to the bottom of the machine) or knock a couple bits through the eye holes when stirring. I found the grain bag is great for that - like this video:

What did you do to prevent the gunk on the bottom plate, just more careful about your recirculation and preventing any grain from getting down the overflow pipe?

I've been using foam axe (same thing as fermcaps) and that seems to create a really heavy break, which is probably adding to my bottom gunk.

I do think the plate chiller would function better with a stronger external pump, but I think I'd switch to the counterflow before getting another pump. Although I've seen people out there claiming good success with plate chillers.

I think my problem is that the chiller is really gummed up from previous uses. I've been soaking it in PBW and flushing it and a ton of junk is coming out.

I'm going to play with a combination of things to see if I can get this PITA chiller working properly, will report back.

Cheers.

I can't seem to prevent the gunk on the bottom plate ( the base not the false bottom), it's only a crescent of it about 4-6cm wide not burnt and comes off with a cloth or soft brush at the cleaning stage.
I was careful about making sure I didn't pour grain over the edge or down the drain pipe or get overflows. I just use plain old irish moss and get a load of break with that.
The guten doesn't have a false bottom so as mentioned use the trub trapper home made etc Pictures below and that catches the break and hop particles before transfer, don't think it would work for the plate chiller though.
The gunk issue is a concern might be best to adopt another cooling strategy and sell it on once you have it clean, in my heart the plate chiller does look the most elegant and probably is the most efficient but it has issues it seems.
Will await your further trials.IMG_20210129_122632.jpgtrub trap and coil.jpg

Back