NY Times article about the revival of cider making in NY State

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Maylar Where do you go? I only know of Bishop's Orchard as one near New Haven.

Bishops makes hard cider and also will sell their juice. They're rather unique that way. If you read their web page, they've won all sorts of awards for their ciders and fruit wines.

Beardsley's in Shelton is a cider mill that presses table cider in the fall and one day a year does a special pressing for hard cider makers - that was last Sunday. There is also Gotta's farm in Portland that presses their own apples.

For cideries, there are a few near me. New England Cider in Wallingford, Spoke & Spy in Middletown, and Yankee Cider Co. in East Haddam which is new and doesn't have a tasting room yet.

Bishops makes hard cider and also will sell their juice. They're rather unique that way. If you read their web page, they've won all sorts of awards for their ciders and fruit wines.

Beardsley's in Shelton is a cider mill that presses table cider in the fall and one day a year does a special pressing for hard cider makers - that was last Sunday. There is also Gotta's farm in Portland that presses their own apples.

For cideries, there are a few near me. New England Cider in Wallingford, Spoke & Spy in Middletown, and Yankee Cider Co. in East Haddam which is new and doesn't have a tasting room yet.

Thanks! I work in New Haven, so it's nice to know where I can get local cider when possible.

@HarlemBrewDoug
Stafford Cidery is another on that isn’t too far up 84. Some interesting flavors there. But the three you mention are closer for me as well in Colchester.

And there are some other farms in CT that do hard cider. Holmberg in ledyard is a fun farm to go in the fall for Apple picking and trying some apple wines and ciders.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks. Our liquor store has this cider called Original Sin which I think is from your guy's way. The Black Widow is back sweeten with black cherry juice and it is so good, imo. Only imagine what some of those taste like. We have some nice cider made here in colorado too! I don't know where the apples are from but the cider is killer. And they make it in about every flavor imaginable

Not the finished product, but High Hill Orchard in Meriden is another source of Juice. I think @MarkF gets cider there. Lyman Orchards in Middlefield sends their apples out for pressing and sells it all year, pasteurized but no preservatives, about $7 per gallon.

I've used Gotta's a few times. They fill your bucket right from the press. $4 per gallon. They have a big old wooden scratter that looks to be ancient and the dirt floor scratter room smells like apples. I love it. Wild yeast abound there, I've had wild ferments start in just a few days.

New England Cidery presses apples from local orchards like High Hill and Blue Hills Orchard, a 6th generation orchard in Wallingford. We are blessed to be in apple land.

I'm in Wallingford.

Stafford Cidery is another on that isn’t too far up 84.

And there are some other farms in CT that do hard cider.

I still have not been to Stafford (Crazy Cock). Just visited Tapped Apple in Westerly, RI. Been to Holmberg. There are others in Stonington, Washington & Harwington, CT.

Not the finished product, but High Hill Orchard in Meriden is another source of Juice. I think @MarkF gets cider there. Lyman Orchards in Middlefield sends their apples out for pressing and sells it all year, pasteurized but no preservatives, about $7 per gallon.

I've used Gotta's a few times. They fill your bucket right from the press. $4 per gallon. They have a big old wooden scratter that looks to be ancient and the dirt floor scratter room smells like apples. I love it. Wild yeast abound there, I've had wild ferments start in just a few days.

New England Cidery presses apples from local orchards like High Hill and Blue Hills Orchard, a 6th generation orchard in Wallingford. We are blessed to be in apple land.

I'm in Wallingford.

Does Lyman’s sell in a more wholesale/bulk style to home cider makers? I’m relatively new to it and have been just buying their jugs from their fridge at the store which is relatively expensive. (I think I paid $9/gallon last batch)

I’ll have too look into the other places in the future! Thanks for the tips!

I still have not been to Stafford (Crazy Cock). Just visited Tapped Apple in Westerly, RI. Been to Holmberg. There are others in Stonington, Washington & Harwington, CT.

How was tapped apple? I just started working in that area as my company moved my department and I’ll have to check it out.

Does Lyman’s sell in a more wholesale/bulk style to home cider makers? I’m relatively new to it and have been just buying their jugs from their fridge at the store which is relatively expensive. (I think I paid $9/gallon last batch)

I’ll have too look into the other places in the future! Thanks for the tips!

No, they only have the gallon jugs. I dunno who does the pressing for them. Gottas is close by in Portland and much more homebrew friendly.

Lyman’s is part of some huge cider coop in Mass. That’s who makes their 1741 Hard Cider. Lyman’s labeled cider does not necessarily contain Lyman’s apples.

Wasn’t thrilled with Tapped Apple. More Apple Wine than Cider. But a couple o.k.
But $$$ - a flight, 2 pours & a bottle $50

Back