Nutella stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
Ok after doing lots of surfing and research on this site I came up with this recipie for a 5 gal all grain Nutella stout recipe. Tell me what you think.

10 lbs base grain German two row
.25 lbs black pattent
.25 lbs caraffe II
1 lbs 60L Carmel malt
.5 lbs Victory malt

To near bottom of the mash 8 oz crushed and roasted hazel nuts pressed in brown paper bag to remove oil. I crushed them with a mallet and roasted for 20 min at 350 deg F stiring every 5 min. I pressed in bags for 4 days under 60 lbs of cement blocks

1 oz nugget hops pellet 60 min 14 % AA
.5 oz cascade hops 15 min boil 4% AA
6 oz coco powder 10 min boil
.5 oz cascade hops 2 min boil. 4% aa

yeast safale s-04

The other choice on hand is German Hallertau hops @ 3.4 AA to sub for Cascade. I was going for more bitter to counter act any sweetness. other hops is not an option as I want to brew on 03/03/2013

I might try to get the desired bitterness at the first addition and leave all flavor and aroma additions out to not subtract from what you are trying to accomplish. Just a thought.

I might try to get the desired bitterness at the first addition and leave all flavor and aroma additions out to not subtract from what you are trying to accomplish. Just a thought.

I agree, and at the very least leave out the 5 min addition...you'll get plenty of aroma and flavor from the 15.

I am very interested in your results... I could see something like this being a house beer if it comes together

I'm intrigued. My two cents (if you haven't brewed already) is to leave out the late hop additions altogether and drop the black patent. Use a bit of roasted barley, or even derive all the color come from the less harsh carafa malts. Seems to me a Nutella stout should let the chocolate and hazelnut shine by putting bitterness, hops, and roast flavors to the backseat. With that said, will you get hazelnut flavor after removing the oil and only mashing with them, rather than boil or secondary?

It was brewed last weekend and is siting in primary fermenter og 1.058. The smell from air lock was great at full ferment with strong choc smells and the taste from the initial sparge was nutty and awesome. The ferment is almost done and looks good. The carboy on the left is an ale that is still fermenting 4 week later an the one on the right is the nutella stout still with cocco powder suspened in the ferment. I think both need weeks to fully ferment. Time for a new carboy and a light ale. :mug:

DSC00564.jpg

Here is a pic of it with my chrismas present finally mounted on the beer fridge. Reviews from everyone were good even two people who don't like stout.

DSC00571.jpg

Back