Nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adnic69

Reaction score
I have done and bottled my first brew, thinking about the second now.I have heard good things about the nut brown ale kit, can't think who makes it off the top of my head. I was going to make it but add some vanilla to give it a bit extra. Can you do this to a tin based kit, if so how much and when would you add it?

Thanks

I use a teaspoon of vanilla extract in my chocolate brown. You can't taste it, but it gives the chocolate a boost. I think cheesefood's vanilla boom uses 2 oz.

Personally, I would add 1oz to the primary, then taste it when racking to a secondary or bottling bucket to see if you want more. You can always add more, but you cant take it back out again once its in there.

I also added 2oz to my Porter. It is still conditioning in the bottle, but it is very drinkable. If you are just using cans of Malt Extract I would use 1oz, but if you also add some grains and steep them, You could use more. Depends on the effect that you would like the vanilla to play.

Also, what kind of vanilla are you using? I used pure vanilla extract from Mexico (great stuff)! Let us know, and we can help you more. From prior threads you may have been advised to use the best stuff you can (ie. not imitation extract). Vanilla Beans are the best way to go, but I found success in the extract.

Cheers
Matt

Well, I may stand corrected. But it is true that it is the best stuff I have found. It works for me, but I suppose that I would not want to put things in my beer that I do not know where they come from.

Thanks bird!

I had suspitions, but nothing to back it up.

Cheers
Matt

I am rather new to this so don't know what you mean by grains and steeping them, sorry. What is that? I would just use the best vanilla I could find in the shop I guess.

In a full mash you are using the grains to get the sugars and flavors. You can supplement the sugars and flavors from the can by steeping grains to get flavor and body from them. I use a nylon bag to dip the grains into 150-160 degree water for 20 min. or so. Picture a tea bag, same idea.

The theory being that the more body your brew will have the less you will notice the vanilla. The cans will produce very drinkable beer, but you will get into experimenting with grains. This will put your personal touch on your brew.

Oh, and I added the vanilla to my secondary.

Cheers
Matt

Latest posts

Back