British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to be brewing my second batch of this tomorrow. Did my first a little less than a year ago. I'm not a notty guy, so I have my White Labs English Ale starter going now.

Wow.....283 posts and NO pics of the finished product! Sounds good...wish I could say it looks good too...!!!

:cross:

Guess I'll just have to make it find out, eh?

Drinking my last 3 bottles tonight, and remembered to snap some pics for ya :D

Took a couple with and without the flash. Always hard to actually get the color in photos.

P1110525.jpg

P1110524.jpg

P1110523.jpg

P1110522.jpg

Got this planned for this evening. I have Denny's Fav 50 yeast on the stirplate. Not sure how that will fair but hopefully it will work out nicely. I am going to call it "Fallen Nuts Brown Ale"... lolz

I'm thinking of subbing 2 lbs of the base malt with smoked malt(not really sure why, just seemed interesting). What do you think? Too much? Not enough? Don't do it?

Hmm - kinda missed my temps tonight (haven.t used my rig in 4 months so I was rusty). Hit 151 for the first 15 minutes then got it up to 154. Hopefully it doesn't dry it out too much.

just mashed in as well. decided to do Marris Otter instead of two row and had to sub US goldings. should be tasty!

Just pitched some top cropped Neo-Brittania I had been saving in a jar in the fridge. Followed the recipe exactly, ended up at 1.060...I love BIAB.

If by smoked malt you mean Rauchmalt, then 2 lbs will not impart a huge amount of smoke flavor, but you should notice it. I like a nice rauchbier, but anything with smoked malt tends to need excessive aging.

If by smoked malt you mean peat-smoked malt, 2 lbs will destroy you.

Bottling this tonight. Primary for 4 weeks, ran out of idophor and didn't want to drive the 40 miles to the brew store until I had a reason to be up there.

4.5 Gallons
Mashed at 153-154
OG 1.077
FG not sure yet, haven't pulled a sample.

8lb 2 row (1.8srm)
1lb Caramel 60
1lb Coffee Malt (165srm) (Subbed in place of the chocolate, I wanted to see if coffee malt was worth using again so I went for a decent amount)
1lb Flaked Oats (1.4srm)
8oz Victory/Biscuit Malt

Wholesalehops where a bit generous so I had extra Willamette to use and hopped it like an American Brown without the c-hops. (C-hops to me don't belong in a brown)
1.1oz at 60min
1.1oz at 20min
1.1oz at 10min
1.1oz at flameout

Denny's 1450 with a 2 Quart starter.

I brewed this a month ago and have been enjoying from the keg. I fermented with Wyeast 1469 and have to say it is by far the best beer I have ever brewed. I plan on brewing it again with WLP037 to see which I prefer.

Brewing this for the 2nd time today! I bumped the grain bill up a bit to accomodate my effeciency since the 1st time I brewed this was also my 1st AG brew and I undershot my OG, but it was still very tasty! Just realized I should have left the chocolate malt alone, so I think this batch will be a wee bit darker than the last time around, but we'll see.

I also just racked EdWort's Haus Pale ale to secondary while this Nut Brown has been mashing, and just realized that I have a great big yeast cake O' Notty on the bottom of my primary. So I think I am going to try pitching this brew onto a yeast cake for the first time just to see what happens :D

Brewing this for the 2nd time today! I bumped the grain bill up a bit to accomodate my effeciency since the 1st time I brewed this was also my 1st AG brew and I undershot my OG, but it was still very tasty! Just realized I should have left the chocolate malt alone, so I think this batch will be a wee bit darker than the last time around, but we'll see.

I also just racked EdWort's Haus Pale ale to secondary while this Nut Brown has been mashing, and just realized that I have a great big yeast cake O' Notty on the bottom of my primary. So I think I am going to try pitching this brew onto a yeast cake for the first time just to see what happens :D

Yeah, anytime you're adjusting for efficiency, just try to bump the base malt. Changing the specialty grains will affect the overall flavor of the beer.

Pitching on that yeast cake should be perfect.

Yeah, anytime you're adjusting for efficiency, just try to bump the base malt. Changing the specialty grains will affect the overall flavor of the beer.

Pitching on that yeast cake should be perfect.

Yep, lesson learned, but now I get to find out what the extra specialty grains do to the final product which will be lesson #2 :mug:

wow!!! Pitching on that old yeast cake was nuts. My blow off tube was bubbling 4 hours after racking onto it, and this is the first time I've ever seen my blowoff bucket bubble over!

This recipe is spot freaking on. I'm bottling today, and the flavor and smell coming out of the fermenter and hydrometer cylinder is ...practically perfect in every way. It is extremely hard to screw up this recipe, guys and gals. All that's left is conditioning; and if my sanitation is good and my krausening calculations are right it's going to be pretty much one of the best things I've ever brewed.

Hear that: the only thing standing in the way of greatness are my sanitation and bottling procedures, because the recipe itself is tremendous.

I definitely found my next recipe. Gonna go order the ingredients now. Might even pitch 5 gallons of this onto an 04 yeast cake. Other half will go with Notty. Thanks for the recipe, sparky.

Well I tried to get all the ingredients to do the same recipe and when I got to my local supply store they were out of a few things. So for my 10 gallon batch that I just did... I used the following.

19.00 lb Pale Malt 2row UK
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt
1.50 oz Sterling
2.00 oz Willamette

I mashed in at 152 degrees and kept for 1hr then stepped it up to 172 degrees for 20min then boiled for 1hr. Added 1oz of Sterling and 1oz of Willamette for 1hr. then the last 10min i added the rest.

I came up with about 7.5gal and put in about 2.5 gal of distilled water. I then checked my OG and hit 1.067 and pitched plenty of yeast.. I had the thing going nutz in about 4 hrs and the room smelled amazing.. This thing is going to be good..... Anyone have any suggestions on what I could have done?

So checked my levels and found:

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017

6.6ABV Yeah

And boy it does taste good

Just racked this one to secondary tonight after 27 days in primary and decided to throw them on some medium toast french oak cubes that i had vacuum packed and soaked in port for a while. The cubes had been used in 1 brew before so they probably won't leave too much oak flavor, but I'm thinking this brew could benefit from a little oak flavor, so we'll see how it turns out :D

Brewing 11-12 gallons of this right now. Hit my temps @ 154 and 168. 20 minutes left in the boil right now. I can't wait to try it out. Used Willamette for both hop additions because I'm cheap like that. Hope it compliments the beer well.

Edit: do you think I should aim to get this around the same OG or should I just leave it at whatever I get? (I usually get 87% efficiency).

Got it to about 12 gallons @ 1.055ish. Best sample I have ever tasted. Mmm mmm mmm...

I just had a 22oz bottle.

I made 6 gallons. Put 5 in a keg and bottled a gallon.

Great brew Sparky... that has to be the smoothest brew that I have ever made.:rockin:

Cheers

I just brewed a batch of this last night.

I did a partial mash directly derived from the original recipe:

5 lbs DME (late add. at 15 minutes)
2 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal - 60L
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 lb victory
1/4 lb chocolate malt

1 oz fuggles @ 60
1 oz goldings @ 15

even though I topped my bucket up to 23 liters, I still had an OG of about 1.058
I pitched Notty onto it.

I can't wait to try it! :mug:

Just wanted to say I bottled this on 1/16. My OG was 1.055 and my FG was either 1.012 or 1.011. Should be fairly spot on to the original posted recipe. I hit all my temp's and I'm pretty happy about that.

Saw this get bumped up and remembered that I have never posted about brewing it. I've done 3 10gal batches and I can say that this is a solid recipe. It's pretty much a house beer at this point for us.

I was looking for a solid nut brown recipe and I guess I found it! Just getting my Whitbread starter going now, brewing on Saturday. I'm excited to try this one out :rockin:

just an update, I checked my SG this morning, and it's already at 1.020, which means ABV of 5.18%.
I know, it's not done yet, it's only been 6 days, and I'm hoping to leave it til February 8th, which would give it 23 days in primary.
Good Lord, but I can't wait! :D

Back