Number 8 Corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use number 8 corks in bottles from La Chouffe, or Lindeman, or Dupont? I had been saving some bottles in the hopes that this would work but now am not too sure.

a #8 cork is the smaller of the two sizes most often recommended for wine bottles, the larger being a #9. I'm not familiar with those brands, but if they had wine in them at some point, a #8 cork will fit. Another way to tell, is to measure the inside diameter of the neck of one of the bottles. I think standard wine bottles have a diameter of just at 3/4", or at least very close. Then again, you could always just shove a #8 cork in to try it out and see.

Yes, I guess I could just try one. Would I just be checking for leakage or would it just slide out if it didn't fit? I've never corked anything so I just don't want it to look fine but end up with problems down the road. I'll give them a measuring, too, and compare to some other bottles I have.

Thanks

I would go through the process and see what happens. Fill a bottle with water, cork it, let it set upright overnight, lay it on its side in the morning, and try to remove the cork when you come home. If it has a normal amount of resistance you're good to go. If it's abnormally easy, you may want to reconsider.

Latest posts

Back