Nugget hops in Texas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkaeppel

Reaction score
I have heard that Cascades do well in TX. Has anyone heard how Nugget hops fare?

My apologies if this topic has already been addressed.

I'm also in TX and interested in growing hops as well. I'm i going to look into whatever has the most heat/dryness tolerance..

We ship a lot of the following to Texas - Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Sterling,and Columbus. Nugget is one tough plant and might work - but it has larger leaves than most; so sun scorch might be an issue unless you site it in partial sun. We have shipped them to Texas and New Mexico, but haven't ever heard anything back on how they perform compared to others. Maybe a Texan will chip in - or track down a guy named Ed Wort - I think he's a grower down thattaways.

My sterling was a first year plant in 2011 and survived through the summer. The bines all died off but when it cooled in the fall around September it started to grow new shoots. I guess that doesn't help with your Nugget question.

Yah - Sterling seems to like the type of soil you have in Texas. The guys up North struggle with it.

The soil in Texas can be insanely diverse from one part of the state to another. And construction buildup throws in even more variety. I live northwest of Fort Worth in a pretty rural area; my soil is sandy w lots of limestone. I grew cascade a couple of years ago and had a pretty good harvest but lost my rhizomes when I didn't dig them up before a hard winter got em. The vines are tough tho and it's just a matter of giving them a little tlc. Dig in some good dark growing mix or compost, put them where they'll get a good 6 hours of sun every day (and not sunup to sundown) and you can almost guarantee some good results.

Thanks for the replies! I am in the DFW area in Lewisville. The soil isn't great - lots of clay, but we plan on adding some good topsoil and compost. Hopefully that'll get them started. I'll shoot for partial shade when we plant.

So my next question is, when is a good time to plant? I was thinking first week of March because that's when it typically starts warming up for the year.

I am just North of San Antonio, and had VERY good luck with growing Nugget, Cascade, and Chinook. My Sterling, and Centennial have grown but not anywhere near as much as the other 3.

I'm curious what you other Texas hop growers did to get such good results. I'm in Dallas and I've given up. I haven't actually tried though. I've just read and read and heard stories from other folks at the LHBS and haven't heard good things.....

What are your secrets to success? I'd love to grow hops here and I have some hope after reading this thread.

I'm curious what you other Texas hop growers did to get such good results. I'm in Dallas and I've given up. I haven't actually tried though. I've just read and read and heard stories from other folks at the LHBS and haven't heard good things.....

What are your secrets to success? I'd love to grow hops here and I have some hope after reading this thread.

tell more about your setup and maybe someone can help.

tell more about your setup and maybe someone can help.

Well - I don't really have a set up yet. What I had planned is an area on the west side of my house. I have an area I was going to clear that is roughly 15' x 3'. I was going to clear it, remove the one bush that is growing there, till it, and mix in manure and whatever else would be recommended for a nice healthy start. I was going to build a trellis up to about 14' and anchor it to my roof. I guess a picture would work better though eh?

My concerns are many: that side of the house is the only area I can practically try this as all other areas of my house are either occupied by SWMBO's flowers or insanely shaded - and the west side gets intense sun all summer. I mean it gets so hot that chocolate in a shelf inside the house opposite that wall has melted. All other concerns stem from the Texas summers we get here. I fear that even with proper drip irrigation it will be just too dang hot for them. Speaking with an employee at a LHBS the other day we were chatting about this and we both kind of agreed that it's just too unpredictable to grow anything here.

I don't know though - like I said, I've thought about it....a LOT about it, but gave up any thought of it after this past summer.

Personally I think if you can find part of the house that gets some afternoon shade that would be preferable for the hops. They like sun but they don't like the kind of heat they will get sitting in the Texas sun all morning and afternoon. Especially if we have another summer like we did this year.

Well - the side of the house I'd plant them on gets nothing but afternoon sun. And with the mid to late afternoon being the hottest part of the day I don't think I'd do well there. I think morning and a little afternoon sun would be best here with shade in the late afternoon.....unfortunately I don't have an area that fits those specs.

RyanWeary said:
Well - the side of the house I'd plant them on gets nothing but afternoon sun. And with the mid to late afternoon being the hottest part of the day I don't think I'd do well there. I think morning and a little afternoon sun would be best here with shade in the late afternoon.....unfortunately I don't have an area that fits those specs.

Where mine are planted they only get afternoon sun, some leaves get a little brown but the cones are fine. Just make sure to be good about watering, and give the soil a good 50/50 mix of cow manure and potting soil and they will grow fine. Also I am considerably further south than you, well below the optimal area for growing hops, and they still grow well.

Where mine are planted they only get afternoon sun, some leaves get a little brown but the cones are fine. Just make sure to be good about watering, and give the soil a good 50/50 mix of cow manure and potting soil and they will grow fine. Also I am considerably further south than you, well below the optimal area for growing hops, and they still grow well.

Well that's reassuring. I'll prep a spot and plant some....maybe nugget and something else....

Back to the OP - will Nugget grow well here, and what other varieties will survive in Texas?

cow manure can be harsh. I would not mix that with the soil. Leave it on top close to where the root tip grows, but not close to the root ball of the plant. (if you are a newbie at gardening, don't use cow manure).

AGED compost mixed in with top soil and the native soil should work.

osmolite if u want to fertilize. (hard to over do it when following the directions).

pretty much a newbie setup on soil/fertilizing.

Compost will eat the Nitro in the soil. Causing a slow groth of the plant. Soil needs time to condition. PH testing will be good too.

Back