NPT connection order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
Is there a convention, or a right/wrong way to hook up M/F NPT connections.
I.e. should the flow go:

-> M -> F ->

or

-> F -> M ->

??

Thanks,
Eric

I don't think it really matters.
Kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make a easy to fix mistake at design that's costly to fix at implementation.

well... If you are paraniod, you might want to get a plumber's opinion and not an electrical engineer's. :p

I really have no idea and would literally have never even thought to ask a question like that.

Kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make a easy to fix mistake at design that's costly to fix at implementation.

Sorry, I'm a little confused...

Are you talking about quick disconnects?
Or are you hard plumbing something?

For example:
I'm trying to design my HEX. Where the chiller comes out of the HLT...
Where the flow is coming from the MLT, I am planning on soldering an NPT adapter so I can attach a Tri-Clover. Should the solder joint have a M or F NPT end.
Would it be reversed where the flow is coming out of the HLT.

For example:
I'm trying to design my HEX. Where the chiller comes out of the HLT...
Where the flow is coming from the MLT, I am planning on soldering an NPT adapter so I can attach a Tri-Clover. Should the solder joint have a M or F NPT end.
Would it be reversed where the flow is coming out of the HLT.

Now I gotcha...Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you attach the tri-clover to the vessel, it's going to stay put (no compatibility concerns with swapping). I would base my decision on the price/availability of the tri-clover's. Are they the same price with male or female npt's?

I use QD's and put male qd's on all my equipment and females on the hoses because I had fewer hose ends (I used to swap hoses) and the females were more expensive.

If you screw an M & F fitting together look down the hole, I think the hole size should line up in the 2 fittings so there is no step. If there is a step I think steping down rather than up would be better because there would be no deadspace when fluid is flowing.
I am a mechanical engineer so as Walker said don't take my word for it, can't trust us engineers to actually know what we are talking about:drunk:

I hope it doesn't matter, because I've got a crapload of couplings that are female at both ends :).

Is there a convention, or a right/wrong way to hook up M/F NPT connections.

Gay and transgender fittings need to be welded

Do you mean which way should the fluid flow into the male or female?
There is no practical difference. You might theorize that driving the fluid into the edge of a male fitting might cause more turbulence than the other way, but in most pipe fitting lay outs there simply is no way to avoid driving fluid through an assortment of fitting configurations.

Every chance I get if I need to go from a nipple to coupling or back to a male nipple fitting or valve i'll bore the ID of the nipples with a shallow taper on the lathe. This reduces the fluids from butting into the end of the nipples or fittings reducing turbulence with diameter changes. The more transitions thru fittings the greater the reduced flow volumes will be.
Thin wall stainless tubing with compression fittings are designed for smooth same diameters of ID bores which are great with maintaining high volumes and smooth flows.

Back