Now brewing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crum

Reaction score
Well I started my first beer brewing about 2 weeks ago and been having a great time learning and enjoying the new hobby. After watching me having fun, my wife runs to the brewery store and picks up what she needs to brew wine. She is just starting from a kit, figured this would be the easiest way. Now in the same room there is a 8 gallon bucket with wind and 6.5 carboy doing wine. What are people going to think when they come over now.
The part that is a pain is that wine is brewed in 6 gallons and beer is in 5 gallons. This makes it difficult to share vessels.

Are there a lot of wine brewers out there? I know we are going to have questions on that.

crum said:
Well I started my first beer brewing about 2 weeks ago and been having a great time learning and enjoying the new hobby. After watching me having fun, my wife runs to the brewery store and picks up what she needs to brew wine. She is just starting from a kit, figured this would be the easiest way. Now in the same room there is a 8 gallon bucket with wind and 6.5 carboy doing wine. What are people going to think when they come over now.
The part that is a pain is that wine is brewed in 6 gallons and beer is in 5 gallons. This makes it difficult to share vessels.

Are there a lot of wine brewers out there? I know we are going to have questions on that.
Can you ever have too many carboys? :D I have several 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs, 3 3 gallon carboys, several 5's, 6's and 6 1/2's. I've picked them up over the years so now I can handle just about any odd sized batch.

Well
I have 2 6 gallon Carboys that are pretty much always in use on my kitchen counter.

I try to have about 12 gallons going so that it is a single morning to bottle everything, and clean em all out etc...

My shiraz is ready for bottling now, but it can wait another 10 days or so for the Cabernet Merlot to Clarify correctly.

Memorial Day is set aside for bottling etc... and of course sampling my wares :)

Kilroy

My wife and I bought our wine kit and have our first batch of Merlot in the primary. I got the wine kit first since it allowed me to get it (wife is a wine drinker). I also figured that the equipment would allow me to make beer in as well (since the beer kits did not come with a carboy).

We also learned our first lesson today. Put the airlock in the lid before putting the lid on the bucket. The little gromet will not hold while you are inserting the air lock into the lid, and that little gromet does not float. :eek:

CongoGrey said:
My wife and I bought our wine kit and have our first batch of Merlot in the primary. I got the wine kit first since it allowed me to get it (wife is a wine drinker). I also figured that the equipment would allow me to make beer in as well (since the beer kits did not come with a carboy).

We also learned our first lesson today. Put the airlock in the lid before putting the lid on the bucket. The little gromet will not hold while you are inserting the air lock into the lid, and that little gromet does not float. :eek:
hehe - yup you could also try having the airlock wet with a little sanitizer, it does go in a little easier.

Andrew

Back