Nottingham yEast in speckled heifer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPhad

Reaction score
Was about to brew this cream ale spotted cow clone when I realized I had nitty instead of us05. Should I wait or will this work?

I think you will be fine using the Nottingham yeast. It is a relatively clean fermenter.

Cheers,
Brandon

Thanks for the tips on the temp, it's at 68 right now, I'll get it in a bath to cool it.

Does nottingham normally start slow?

I pitched about 11 hours ago and don't see much action yet.
Been using US05 a lot lately and it is normally chugging along after few hours.
FYI - I did rehydrate before pitching.

BPhad said:
Thanks for the tips on the temp, it's at 68 right now, I'll get it in a bath to cool it.

Does nottingham normally start slow?

I pitched about 11 hours ago and don't see much action yet.
Been using US05 a lot lately and it is normally chugging along after few hours.
FYI - I did rehydrate before pitching.

It's at 66 and chugging away now.

Just took a sample and it has a slightly sour smell. No sign of infection and I don't get it when I taste. Just smell. Any ideas?

Nottingham got my brews going pretty quick. The first time I fermented in the 68-70 degree range. Noticed a tart note to it, but not overwhelming. It wasn't offensive and seemed to suit the style.

I just bottled a hoppy red ale and the sample tasted and smelled very clean. After reading up on Notty, I fermented it in the low 60s till the yeast activity died down then let it finish at room temp.

My guess is your beer will turn out fine.

Notty and US 05 are not the same but I have found that a recipe that calls for US 05 will turn out fine if you use notty.

Had this in keg for a couple days and took a little sample today. Tasted good can't wait for it to be ready.

Back