Nottingham Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
Should I be worried?

Brewed a 7 gallon mini mash oatmeal stout with brown sugar and used Nottingham, 2 packs. Pitched at 70 and it got up to 73 degrees within the 1st 24 hours. I have the fermenter in an cooler and it's covered with a dry towel which helps keep the temps regulated. I have it in a water bath and use a frozen 2 liter to cool down the temps. I got it to 69 and was worried it might be too cold, thats when I double checks Nottingham's temps and saw that I let it get a bit too high. It's stayed at 69 for the past several days now. I think it should turn out fine, I just want to hear what others might say.

Should I be worried?

Brewed a 7 gallon mini mash oatmeal stout with brown sugar and used Nottingham, 2 packs. Pitched at 70 and it got up to 73 degrees within the 1st 24 hours. I have the fermenter in an cooler and it's covered with a dry towel which helps keep the temps regulated. I have it in a water bath and use a frozen 2 liter to cool down the temps. I got it to 69 and was worried it might be too cold, thats when I double checks Nottingham's temps and saw that I let it get a bit too high. It's stayed at 69 for the past several days now. I think it should turn out fine, I just want to hear what others might say.

69 is ok- it's right at the top of what I'd consider acceptable for nottingham. At 72 degrees +, it starts getting a very yucky flavor, not really quite esters but very nasty. Under 70, it's ok. At 62-66, it's very clean. At 57 degrees, it's almost lagerlike in the "clean" flavor.

So it was at 73 for 4-6 hours how much off flavors should I be worried about?

I agree with Yooper as far as Nottingham performance at different temperatures. Before I set up a dedicated fridge with temp. control some of my fermentations were in the mid to high 70s without any noticeable problems using Nottingham.

I would recommend that any temperature change you may decide on is done gradually at a couple of degrees/day as long as it is fermenting.

Bob

I usually ferment Nottingham in the low 60s and get very clean, crisp beers.

I decided drop the temp. I threw in a half filled frozen 2 liter and it went down to 67 after about half a day and has stayed that way since then. I was planing on letting this ferment for a month 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. Hopefully that should help dissipate any off flavors.

I must say I've learned my lesson here. Always double check your brewing plans, recopies and what not before you start

I always check the temp range for the yeast Im using. Sticking to the lower end will almost always give you a better beer.

I just brewed another batch last night. I made sure to double check all my temps and recipes this time I pitched when my wort was under 70 and I've got it down to 65 in an cooler water bath set up. Vigorous fermentation didn't start until this afternoon. I was a bit worried this morning when I looked at the air lock and didn't see a whole lot of bubbles. But I told myself RDWHAHB and sure enough got home tonight and I had a lot of bobbles. I've done a lot of help me posts on HBT so I just thought I would do a things went well post for once.

Back