Nottingham stall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaruche

Reaction score
So far, I've been lucky on the fermenting front. My newest batch, which was pitched with Nottingham on the 14th (17th today) has completely lost all foaming activity. There is still some gurgling every 4 to 5 seconds in the airlock. Is this a trait characteristic of this yeast, or do I have an issue? I've never used notty before, so I have nothing to compare/contrast with. Thanks for any replies...

no,you're fine, It's just done with initial fermentation,the vigorous part. It'll slowly get down th FG from this point. It's just not very busy looking by comparison.

+1 for notty being a fast worker. Many ale strains are. It's not uncommon for vigorous fermentation to be complete after a few days. Revvy's right, really the only way to know whats going on in there is a gravity reading.

O.G. was 1.044. Sitting around 68-70 degrees. I'll get the hydrometer out and see where it sits. Thanks for the replies...

*currently sitting at 1.016. Is this healthy? Thanks, again...

O.G. was 1.044. Sitting around 68-70 degrees. I'll get the hydrometer out and see where it sits. Thanks for the replies...

*currently sitting at 1.016. Is this healthy? Thanks, again...

It looks to me like the hard work for the yeast is done and now it just needs time to clean up and get the last of the sugar. I suspect that it will need some clean up time with the temperature you fermented at. I usually start mine at about 62 degrees and leave it for a week, then bring it into a 72 degree room for the next 2 weeks. By then it will be done fermenting and cleaned up with most of the yeast settled out, ready for bottling.

My blonde is finishing up with notty. Had an OG of 1.046 and just tested it last night and it's at 1.012. It has been in the primary for 10 days. It's a pretty hard worker and does well for me. Mine will be sitting for another week or so before hitting the keg for New Years. Just give it some time to clean up and you're golden.

Back