Nottingham question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleosity

Reaction score
On my second Cider batch ever last night, I decided to try Nottingham -- I used 3 containers frozen apple juice, 6 containers of water, 3-4 grams of yeast, some nutrient, and about 1/3 cup brown sugar dissolved in water to top it off. OG was 1.6
12 hours later it's bubbling away nicely.

I would like to stop this batch at about 1.01 (I like a bit sweeter). I'll use a hydrometer of course, but I don't want to take too many samples-- does 5 days or so sound like a reasonable ballpark for 1.01 using Nottingham Danstar Ale yeast?

I personally find it much easier to just let it ferment all the way out. Stabilize it, then backsweeten up to where you want it. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it. Not sure if you're wanting it carbed or still though (my way obviously makes it still)

I like it a bit sweeter and carbed, but bottling is out of the question (death from SWMBO).
I was thinking of stopping it when it was a bit sweet and bubbly, then racking and cold-crashing it in the fridge (it won't last long). :mug:

On my second Cider batch ever last night, I decided to try Nottingham -- I used 3 containers frozen apple juice, 6 containers of water, 3-4 grams of yeast, some nutrient, and about 1/3 cup brown sugar dissolved in water to top it off. OG was 1.6
12 hours later it's bubbling away nicely.

I would like to stop this batch at about 1.01 (I like a bit sweeter). I'll use a hydrometer of course, but I don't want to take too many samples-- does 5 days or so sound like a reasonable ballpark for 1.01 using Nottingham Danstar Ale yeast?

I hope your OG was 1.060....:)

As far as a time frame, there's no good way to answer that question because it's dependent on a wide variety of factors, the largest of which is probably temperature. The colder it is, the slower it goes.

I would take a reading every day until it get's close. I suppose you're going to cold crash it to stop it? A lot of people have really good luck stopping Nottingham by simply racking it. I'd recommend doing that as well.

Hope this helps!

Yikes, 1.06, that's right! (1.6 would be a 10lb chunk of maple sugar!) Thanks, that's good to know. I'll rack it and crash it when it's still a bit fizzy and sweet.

A lot also depends on your yeast pitching amount. I started 2 ciders with different yeast amounts. The fist took 2 days to really take off and the other maybe 12 hours. I had the first go from 1.08 to 1.04 in 8 days. I think it would have been 5 days if I had pitched at a higher rate.

I ended up cold crashing the carboy in the fridge after about 5 days in primary (1.01). When everything settled down to the bottom, I siphoned it into those plastic (Mr. Beer) bottles about 70% full, added a tbps table sugar to each and let sit on the counter. I squeezed the bottles daily to see how firm they were, when they seemed pretty tight I threw them in the fridge.

I tried one about a day after I put the sugar in, cause I just couldn't wait, and it was outstanding (for my gorilla palate anyways). Fizzy, a bit sweet and freakin delicious. Got a nice buzz too, I'm guessing close to 5%.

If I can duplicate that recipe every time, I'll be a happy camper! :tank:

I did 6gal of local UV-pasturized cider and put that together with 1lb of raw honey from a local farm, .5lb of Mexican brown sugar, and a packet of Danstar 11G Nottingham.

Bubbling away, as we speak.

I use a lot of Wyeast blends typically, when I homebrew - so going to a dry yeast is a bit different for me - but it seems to be jetting right along.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the typical gravity of a cider and how much sugar would I add to 1 gallon to get to 1.060?

What is the typical gravity of a cider and how much sugar would I add to 1 gallon to get to 1.060?

Typically around 1.050. But can also be a bit higher...and the fresh-pressed stuff tends to be lower. To get to 1.060 just add 20% more sugar (assuming your OG is about 1.050) than what is in the apple juice. Or just keep adding a bit at a time and take gravity readings until your desired level.

Back