Not your traditional fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
My traditional 6-gallon fermenting bucket broke when I was preparing it for my latest batch. Since I don't have local homebrew store I went down to Target and picked up one of these rubbermaid plastic 30 quart totes for $4.

http://www.target.com/Rubbermaid-Non-latching-Green-Tint-Storage/dp/B003UAATLM

I drilled an airlock hole, dumped in the wort and weighted the lid to reduce air leakage. It's happily bubbling away. Now I'm wondering what the disadvantages to this type of fermenter will be?

It's got the #5 plastic recycle symbol for which it's said...

Number 5 Plastics:
PP (polypropylene)
Found in: Some yogurt containers, syrup bottles, ketchup bottles, caps, straws, medicine bottles

Polypropylene has a high melting point, and so is often chosen for containers that must accept hot liquid. It is gradually becoming more accepted by recyclers.

Maybe oxygen permeability isn't as good as HDPE? Any thoughts?

O2 permeability and a poor seal at the lid would be my instinctive guesses. You might be brewing a lambic.

I would be more concerned with how the container has been dyed and how well it will stand up to containing an acidic solution. There's some nasty stuff in certain kinds of dye and I would be concerned about those chemicals leeching into the beer. I know #1 and #2 containers are good with beer, not sure about #5.

If you have a fred meyer handy we picked up 2 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids that are both number 2 food grade plastic for 13 bucks for all the gear (if I remember correctly). They were for transportation of pressed cider from where we pressed to the house, but they would be pretty ideal for fermenting buckets if one was to punch holes in the lids. I dont really know how they seal, though this could be fixed with the use of some shrink wrap or tape as long as you put a stoppable hole in the lid for sampling.

I don't think there is any real concern with the chemical make-up of the tote. The biggest problem seems to me to be structual. I use two of these things all the time for aquarium purposes and they are impossible to move once full. Also you would need to tape the lip if you are going to keep the beer in it once fermentation has finished to prevent oxidation.

Latest posts

Back