Not sure what this is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeCreusette

Reaction score
9895924674_cb52dbcd76_o.jpg

9895924644_f078fc1a32_o.jpg

So we've made a few beers, but I've never come across this before so I thought I'd throw it out to the group. We brewed a Wiezenbok style beer in mid-August. It sat in the primary fermenter a month until we moved it into a secondary fermenter, where it's been for the past week. I started to notice a hazy look at the top of the carboy one or two days in, and in the last two days, saw these bubble type things appear on the top of the beer. They don't move around or pop like bubbles, and the side of the carboy is getting murkier with the white stuff too.

It was suppose to be a high alcohol (6.7) but when I pulled the specific gravity last week it came in around 4.5. It was sitting in a room slightly warmer than we normally keep it in, around 75 degrees, during the primary. We are pretty good at sanitizing with StarSans, and definitely cleaned everthing before transferring it.

Can't decide if this is a yeast issue, a mold issue, or what---but the important thing is if it's still drinkable. Anyone see something like this before, and should we go ahead and bottle now before it gets worse, or just let it do it's thing for a few more weeks?

I'd bottle it. It's probably nothing serious but seeing that its sat for a month+ it's good to go. At 6.7% it shouldn't need to sit for too long to condition. If you want it to condition more bottle it and don't touch it for another month or however long you want to age it for.
I'm drinking an 8.2% strong ale and I let it sit for a month in primary then let it sit in the bottle for a month and it's nice and smooth.

Hard to see the beer itself, but with that little space and in a warmer room, could just be condensation. The bubbles could just be some offgassing from the warmer temps as well. But probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and through it in bottles to condition.

LeCreusette,

This is Brett, Brett this is LeCreusette. Naw, don't let me scare you, other yeast do it too. You're ok to bottle if you have stable FG.

brett 003 (640x480).jpg

Latest posts

Back