Not sure if stuck...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleypariah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Short on time, I made an all-extract beer, just so I had something in the pipeline. According to the BF calculator, I should have hit an FG of 1.016, but I only got down to 1.022.

7 lbs of light LME and 2 lbs of amber LME.
1 pouch of Imperial Joystick.
Columbus for bittering, Willamette for flavor. 53 IBUs.
OG 1.063.

Controlled fermentation at 62°F for seven days, at which time I saw airlock activity slow to a crawl, so I incrementally ramped up to 70°F over the course of three days. So, day 10 is when I first saw the 1.022 FG, and realized that I completely forgot to aerate on day 1. DANG IT.

Left it at 70°F for two more days. Still at 1.022. I sanitized my thief, and gently roused the yeast cake.

Two more days, still at 1.022. Dry hopped two ounces of Centennial, just in case this beer needs some flavor masking.

Two questions:
1) What would you do from here? Throw in some amylase enzyme, champagne yeast, yeast energizer, dissolved table sugar, repitch more Joystick, or just keg it? Something else?

2) Do you think this was the fault of poor aeration --or is Brewer's Friend possibly wrong about the fermentability of 22% Amber LME wort?

I normally use a big whisk for aeration, but I also pour my kettle from chest-high level into my glass carboy, and that produces a large amount of froth. Considering the latest arguments about aeration being less important when you have proper pitch rates, and seeing as I used Imperial yeast... what gives?

Ironically, this beer I was putting a "rush" on, is still sitting in the basement, meanwhile an all-grain batch I made a week later with Kveik is already kegged. Five days, grain to glass.

Last edited:
What yeast was used , are you kegging or bottling? You could swirl the yeast up bit and see if it helps .

Sorry re read your post . Imperial is a good yeast that I think doesnt even need a starter so pouring from your kettle causing foam I'd say your safe on the aeration

I would live with it as well. I'd be worried that some of those suggested yeast fixes could dry it out too much, but you may prefer that.
Love the whisk idea.

You're not in terrible shape...

According to Imperial, Joystick has attenuation of 73 - 77%. You're currently at 64% apparent attenuation.

You don't still have the package of yeast do you? I'm just wondering when the production date was, the number of viable cells might have been lower if it's an older pack.

I'm just wondering when the production date was

Quick, funny story:
I bought a pouch of Joystick from my LHBS. Got it home. Next day looked at the package: Manufacture date of September 2018. 13 months old. Even with their new four-month promise, they say the packs lose 10% viability per month. I called the LHBS. He says to just make a starter. No refunds.

I called Imperial and tell them what happened. They respond, "Was it *XYZ* HBS in *X* City?" I tell them I don't want to snitch, and they said the place was "already on our radar," because he never throws inventory away, even though they'd reimburse him for un-purchased product.
I work in Portland, OR. Imperial is in Gresham, like 15 minutes away. They said to come on by, and they gave me a pouch of Joystick, a pouch of Loki, an Imperial baseball cap, a couple buttons, some stickers, product catalog, and a cooler filled with ice packs. All for free, just to say they were sorry.

This pouch of Joystick was literally a day old.

Quick, funny story:
I bought a pouch of Joystick from my LHBS. Got it home. Next day looked at the package: Manufacture date of September 2018. 13 months old. Even with their new four-month promise, they say the packs lose 10% viability per month. I called the LHBS. He says to just make a starter. No refunds.

I called Imperial and tell them what happened. They respond, "Was it *XYZ* HBS in *X* City?" I tell them I don't want to snitch, and they said the place was "already on our radar," because he never throws inventory away, even though they'd reimburse him for un-purchased product.
I work in Portland, OR. Imperial is in Gresham, like 15 minutes away. They said to come on by, and they gave me a pouch of Joystick, a pouch of Loki, an Imperial baseball cap, a couple buttons, some stickers, product catalog, and a cooler filled with ice packs. All for free, just to say they were sorry.

This pouch of Joystick was literally a day old.

That's awesome... Makes me want to do business with Imperial!

Haha, well I guess that rules out viability playing a role :)

Well, although I bought some amylase enzyme and yeast energizer yesterday, now I'm afraid to ruin this batch.

The two ounces of Centennial I added a while back has transformed this beer. I just thieved a few ounces, and instead of disappointing myself with more hydrometer readings, I just drank it. The beer is not super complex, as to be expected with all-extract, but I can envision the beer cold and carbonated at this point, and I'm pretty sure I'd be pleased if this was poured for me at the bar.

The touch of sweetness that came with a high FG has been masked by the Centennial. It's been kept at 70°F for nearly a week now, and I think the heating pad pulled some bitterness out of the hops. It wasn't bitter at all before I added the dry hop, and it didn't have much aroma at all, so this dry hop is proving to be a life-saver.

I'm gonna unplug the heat and let this fall to basement temp (about 54°F) for a week, and as soon as I have an empty keg, I'm gonna go ahead and rack it. Thanks for all your input.

Back