Not sure if my SG is on target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGuy

Reaction score
Okay, this is my first all grain batch that seems to be going okay, and the first time i'm really paying attention to the SG as compared to the OG.

When the brew went into the fermenter, it had an OG of 1050, and now i'm down to 1018. But my hydrometer doesn't say "Bottle" until much lower (around 1012). I'm just wondering because when I started off, the 1050 was at the top end of the "Start Beer" range, and now i'm well above the bottle marking.

That being said, i'm only a week in, and there's a second week to go, but the (aggressive) fermentation has stopped, and I raked the brew off of the old yeast today. Not sure how much further the SG is going to drop.

Anyways, I just want to make sure i'm going to get this batch right. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Starting and ending gravitys are determined by your grain bill and yeast used. The higher you're yeasts attenuation, the more sugars its able to convert to alcohol. Some yeasts have higher attenuations than others. You'll know your fermentation is complete if it doesn't change three days in a row. I'd say definitely let it go another week before checking it again. My guess is that it will have dropped by then.

Back