not so new kegerator rehad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckotts

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just picked up an old kenmore/sears kegerator, and wanted to know what the best way to rehab it would be.

the unit sat for at least a year the old owner said. (might have been longer)
I know I will have to replace the beer line due to mold and age.
the fridge itself runs cold (Glass of water hit 33deg on coldest setting)

but my question is should I try to clean and repair the tap and coupler
or just buy this

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=279

I would hate to put time and money into repair just to have it not work
and is a 5ft beer line and 4ft o2 line going to be long enough

thanks for the time
Cheers

Are you running commercial kegs or corny? I bought a used rig and just took everything apart and gave it a good soak in oxyclean and the scrubbed everything inside and out. I replaced beer and gas lines, fittings and clamps just for piece of mind. Your LHBS should have lines by the foot for pretty cheap.

Good luck!

This first tap will be commercial kegs ( I will be adding a second for home brew later)

Did the exact same thing as andy, worked really well...cleaned out the old funky stale beer smell, and was good to go

I'm cheap so i would try the soak and scrub method before buying a new coupling.

Everything except the lines should clean up just fine. +1 on a hot oxyclean soak.

The CO2 line just neads to be long enough to get from the regulator to the coupler, although a little extra length is nice for when you're moving things around. The proper length of the beer line will depend on many things, like the ID of the line, the serving pressure, the rise, and the beer temperature. There are calculators out there to help figure out the correct length for a balanced system, but you could also just buy 10' of 3/16" ID beer line and then cut a little off at a time if it pours too slow. Better to have it too long than too short.

Back