Not so mainstream/cheap ipa hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimH

Reaction score
Hey guys first time poster here. Have been reading a ton on this site and learning massive amounts so thanks for that! Anyway my question is are there any hops not so mainstream and on the cheaper side to make a good ipa. I'm a hop head and love a hoppy brew but hops like citra, simcoe, mosaic, ect, ect are breaking the bank. I usually use warrior, Columbus, or chinook as bittering(have made an ipa just from those also) and looking for varieties of hops to go with those that wont break the bank. ANy suggestions or combinations that worked for you guys would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

Any of the non super new ones are generally the same price from what I see. Centennial is a staple in my household.

Magnum or Nugget for bittering? Then whatever you want (more Nugget even) for flavor and aroma.

I made a kinda-British-style IPA recently that was Nugget/Willamette/Willamette. It was nice; bitter and perfumey and totally different from typical American IPA's.

Cluster is pretty good in an ipa, and is $7/lb at hopsdirect

I looked at those and was definitely intrigued then I did some research on them and definitely had mixed reviews. Catty came up quite a bit. I have never had a beer with them but at 7$ a lb really cant go wrong.

Apollo and Cluster are the only two American hops that are reasonably cheap here. Sometimes Nugget too. Cascade / Centennial / Chinook are twice the price of those and Citra / Mosaic / Simcoe three times (roughly).

Hey guys first time poster here. Have been reading a ton on this site and learning massive amounts so thanks for that! Anyway my question is are there any hops not so mainstream and on the cheaper side to make a good ipa. I'm a hop head and love a hoppy brew but hops like citra, simcoe, mosaic, ect, ect are breaking the bank. I usually use warrior, Columbus, or chinook as bittering(have made an ipa just from those also) and looking for varieties of hops to go with those that wont break the bank. ANy suggestions or combinations that worked for you guys would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

So, are you looking for cheaper bittering or aroma hops? Although different bittering hops add different flavors, the subtleties may be lost in the IBUs. Which is why we dry-hop. People think it's mainly for "aroma", but understand, aroma has everything to do with taste. So, if you're looking for pleasant in-your-face/on your palate aroma, then Simcoe and Citra are 2 of my go-to's and they simply aren't cheap. While costs vary a little here or there, you'll have to settle on what you want and just use it. To me, a good home brew always justifies the cost. IOW, sometimes we have to "pay through the nose" to keep the nose happy. :D

So, are you looking for cheaper bittering or aroma hops? Although different bittering hops add different flavors, the subtleties may be lost in the IBUs. Which is why we dry-hop. People think it's mainly for "aroma", but understand, aroma has everything to do with taste. So, if you're looking for pleasant in-your-face/on your palate aroma, then Simcoe and Citra are 2 of my go-to's and they simply aren't cheap. While costs vary a little here or there, you'll have to settle on what you want and just use it. To me, a good home brew always justifies the cost. IOW, sometimes we have to "pay through the nose" to keep the nose happy. :D

definitely looking for a cheaper option for aroma hop. Bittering hops seem to be always on the cheaper side. I have been buying citra and mosaic but I use so much of it and the price is getting a little out of control LOL thought maybe there could be a alternative. Also looking for something a little different

Try Ahtanum hops. I have used them in several pale ales and some IPAs and have always been pleased with the results.

+1 to cluster. Seriously underrated and underutilized by homebrewers.

Not real sure about the pilgrim suggestion, though. I have some and made a brown ale with them, and used a good bit as late additions so I could get a good feel of what they're like. It's still in primary, but a sniff of it does not suggest IPA to me at all.

i have taken a liking to belma, and its around 8$ a pound on hops direct

Try Ahtanum hops. I have used them in several pale ales and some IPAs and have always been pleased with the results.

I almost pulled the trigger on some Ahtanum on my last order and don't really know why I didn't. On the cluster hops I have heard mixed reviews. Some say its really good and others say its catty. I don't really know what they mean when they say its catty...

Price has a lot to do with timing and source - too.

Here in oregon there are several hop farms that allow you to "u pick" pretty cheaply, there are experimental hops that you may not know what your end result will be - but they will tell you what they are hoping to expect - and the price reflects the unknown. There are a lot of events that give away a specified amount of hops for free just for showing up on event day - getting to know your local breweries has its benefits!

I did a quick google search "hop farm south carolina" and there seem to be at least a few - call them and see if they are offering any deals ( although, this time of year I doubt they have any laying around )

Comet is a viable substitute for simcoe and can be found pretty inexpensively. A little comet goes a long way. Falconer's Flight is also good bang for your buck.

Back