Not really sure how this is going to turn out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon

Reaction score
So since I brewed by the wrong grain bill last weekend on what was supposed to be a session citra IPA. I am brewing those grains now in the recipe below. Hopefully this beer is not completely unbalanced and tastes good. I believe it should have a strong IPA bitterness with a citus/grapefruit/floral nose and taste.

Thoughts y'all!? I will update my numbers as they come in.

Vacation IPA

Estimtated OG: 1.056
Estimate FG: 1.014
Bitterness: 106.3 IBU's
Estimated ABV: 4.7%

Grains

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
5 lbs Maris Otter
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Turbinado Sugar

Hop Schedule
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Citra - Boil 45.0 min
0.75 oz Simcoe - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo- Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

1.0 pkg American Ale #1056

Dry Hop

1.00 oz Cascade - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

hows your tolerance for pain?

that kind of ibu on a mid-weight beer is going to be puckering. thats essentially 3 bittering additions. but if thats what you like, then go for it. and time will mellow it if it is too bitter for you.

hows your tolerance for pain?

that kind of ibu on a mid-weight beer is going to be puckering. thats essentially 3 bittering additions. but if thats what you like, then go for it. and time will mellow it if it is too bitter for you.

Any ways to make it less painful? Switch up the hop additions of 45 and 30 to 20 and 10?

I agree, to me the citra and simcoe at 45 and 30 are sort of wasted. I would throw those in at somewhere like 5-10 min, or add them to your whirlpool. The oz of columbus at 60 should make it plenty bitter at that gravity.

for MY tastebuds, a 4.7 IPA is right at about 55-60 IBU. that said, i am not a bitter freak. i like flavor with some bitterness to balance the malt. i would knock the 60 min down to .5oz and get the rest from 20 on down.

Ok, thanks for the advise. I am mashing out now so I have time to "adjust" to make it drinkable.

I dropped the 45 and 30 minute additions to 10 and 5 which dropped the IBU'S to 69.8. That was probably a good choice.

Well at this point I need to brew both these brews again to figure out what I did wrong when I bagged up the grains. My gravity came in a about 1.080. I will see this beer through and see what happens with it. Now there may not be enough bitterness. UGHHHHH.

No way you have a 1.080 wort with that grain bill unless you ended up WAAAY under volume.

No way you have a 1.080 wort with that grain bill unless you ended up WAAAY under volume.

Yeah I know the gravity is way to high for the grains I thought I mashed. I ended up with about 5.5 gallons which is what I wanted. I think I messed up the grain weights by A LOT when packaging at my LHBS. Like I said I will see this one through, get the ingredients again (and pay extra special attention) and rebrew to see what it should have tasted like.

I will admit it, raise my hand and scream to the world I f&*(%d up my last 2 batches in terms of quality control on ingredients. Next time I will have laser like focus!

Thanks again guys I appreciate the feedback.

sometimes those screwups turn into your best beers. then trying to replicate them will drive you nuts. i've had many like that.

I am looking forward to seeing how they both come out that is for sure. Planning a nice simple pale ale or blond ale next though.

Yeah I know the gravity is way to high for the grains I thought I mashed. I ended up with about 5.5 gallons which is what I wanted. I think I messed up the grain weights by A LOT when packaging at my LHBS. Like I said I will see this one through, get the ingredients again (and pay extra special attention) and rebrew to see what it should have tasted like.

I will admit it, raise my hand and scream to the world I f&*(%d up my last 2 batches in terms of quality control on ingredients. Next time I will have laser like focus!

Thanks again guys I appreciate the feedback.

Based on your grain bill, I figured you'd be somewhere around 1.060 - maybe a tad higher. But everyone's efficiency is different, so 1.056 would make sense, too. But 1.080?!

If you f***ed up the grain bills that badly, then your screen name is quite fitting.

:mug:

Based on your grain bill, I figured you'd be somewhere around 1.060 - maybe a tad higher. But everyone's efficiency is different, so 1.056 would make sense, too. But 1.080?!

If you f***ed up the grain bills that badly, then your screen name is quite fitting.

:mug:

That is why I want to brew the recipes again to see where I went wrong.

That is why I want to brew the recipes again to see where I went wrong.

And that's a great idea.

I'm just busting your balls a little. I hope the beers turn out OK and that your next go will fix any issues you had with the first two!

I have been doing a lot of research on beer recipe development and hope that my next batch comes out more "expected"

Latest posts

Back