Not homebrewing but... Hop Press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A new Brewpub opened up in Dover, NH (where I live) about half a year ago called 7th Settlement, and they have recently added the option of adding a "hop press" to the beers you order.

From what I understand, it's a similar process to steeping coffee in a french press, but you use hops instead? A friend of mine told me that some places have started doing this recently. It's a fairly expensive addition to a beer (I think it's $3-$5 to add it, or something). I'm very curious and want to try it. Due to the price I wouldn't get it often, though xD

Has anyone heard of this practice or tried it?

Randall the Enamel Animal... lol.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sure I live relatively close to dogfish and have gone there a number of times when I was living in Delaware. I've seen a fair number of bars with a randall now.

It's pretty much as expected - you get dry hopping flavor in a short period of time. I've also seen different concoctions instead of hops inside a randall, like thai basil and pineapple or raspberry and mint. The fruity stuff doesn't interest me though, so I can't speak to those flavors.

The thing that interests me is that you could hop beers you wouldn't traditionally hop. Like adding citra hops to a kolsch? Sounds tasty to me.

I have done this a few times with my french press. Simply took the clean french press, added whatever I wanted, and then poured the beer over it. I let it sit in the refrigerator for 10 mins, press down the plunger, and enjoyed. One beer I added whole cone hops and another I added fresh cherries for a little different taste. Both times turned out well.

Latest posts

Back