Not enough head space in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't really see anything relevant to my situation. I brewed yesterday and ended up with way more wort than I expected, a little under 6.5 gallons.

The problem is my plastic bucket fermenter is 6.5 gallons, so there's barely any head space. I pitched the yeast last night and the airlock is bubbling away. Should I remove some wort from the fermenter or just let it go?

Let it go but expect some blowoff. I ferment 5gal batches in 5gal better bottles, so I save my airlocks for after the active fermentation is complete and just use a blowoff jug from the get-go every time.

edit: looks like you replied while I was typing. What tubing do you have? I bet we can MacGyver something.

go buy the tubing .... if you have tubing that will fit an auto siphon you have tubing that should fit the middle stock of an airlock .... otherwise put the bucket in a place where the mess wont be a problem.

go buy the tubing .... if you have tubing that will fit an auto siphon you have tubing that should fit the middle stock of an airlock .... otherwise put the bucket in a place where the mess wont be a problem.

I'm working with a grommeted lid on a plastic bucket. I've tried using all the tubing I've had and nothing fits that grommet. Also, my airlock is the s-shaped one.

Latest posts

Back