not enough DME in my starter!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corpsman619

Reaction score
So for whatever reason I made my starter 1.5l instead of 1 and I added 100g of DME. Do you guys think that I should add some corn sugar to get the OG up?

I've heard corn sugar is a bad idea because it acclimated the yeast to a simple sugar and may reduce attenuation in your beer.

At this point, leave it alone. Maybe check yeastcalc.com to see what kind of growth factor to expect from that starter. You may need a second step of a starter, but that will likely adjust your timing. You'll have to decide for yourself if you are under pitching and if it is worth it to move forward with your current starter.

Good luck and happy brewing.

Did you intend to make a 1L starter with 100 g of DME? IF so, you have the right amount of sugar to propagate the yeast. The fact that you accidentally diluted it a bit too much won't matter to the yeast. Leave it be and the yeast will do their thing.

You have made a 1.025 SG starter. This is within the range of a healthy starter. Use Yeastcalc to decide if the yeast cell growth will produce sufficient cells for the estimated OG of your brew.

I agree with checking yeastcalc. Worse case scenario you step up the starter.

Back