Not enough carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cap1

Reaction score
Ok so this was my second batch of beers and the last batch had the same problem. It just does not want to carbonate enough. I even waited 3 months and gently rolled the bottles to get some more yeast action. I think its the way i bottle my beers. I usually pour the sugar water in the bottom of the bottling bucket then siphon the beer out of a secondary carboy into the bottom of the bucket. With this last batch I even gently stirred the beer with sugar water just to make sure it was throughout. I used those priming sugar packets from Austin Homebrew I believe they contain 5 ounces. I'm getting really discouraged. The only improvement from my last batch was that these bottles actually have yeast at the bottom. Any tips would be really useful! :)

Use more sugar.

I use a full cup of corn sugar for a five gallon batch. If you are using 5 ounces, that's just over 1/2 cup; not near enough for five gallons of beer. Also, be sure to keep your bottled beer in a warm place for the first week or so to help the little yeasties do their thing. Your beer should be fully carbonated in a week or two.

Tom

I had a similar problem with a batch of ale a couple of brews ago. I put it in the basement for a couple of weeks, inverted the bottles a couple of times then bought it back to the warm closet (about 72deg). After a week it did the trick. All in all, it took about 2 months. Not sure why this worked, maybe shocking the yeast was all that it took.
Also, I wouldn't go too much over 5 oz of corn sugar for 5 gal. 5 oz by weight is not the same as measuring by an 8oz cup! My last batch had 4oz and was perfect.

Like BierMuncher said "what is your temp?" Is the place you store your bottles seeing huge temp fluctuations?

I'll bet it is the temp of the bottles that is the problem. They need to be stored at 70+

If not you can always try the old school way of priming and add 1/2 a teaspoon of corn sugar to each 12oz bottle (1 tsp for 22's) before filling the bottles.

I keep it in my living room boxed in the corner so its usually about 72 degrees in there, and yes they hiss when i open the bottles. Maybe its the way I heat up the water before putting the sugar in? I usually bring it the right before boiling then put the sugar in 2 cups or so of water, stir it and let it cool down to about 80 degrees atleast before adding the beer.

I know this is an old thread, but my question is right up this alley.
In a 4.5 gal batch, I used 5oz(weight) of corn sugar, and the bottles are stored in a room that ranges from 65-72 throughout a 24-hour period. They have been sitting for 3.5 weeks and have some carbonation, but I wouldn't call it a "bubbly" beer. There is nowhere in my place that sits at 70+ throughout the day. The thermostat drops to 64 at 10pm, then back up to 70 at 5pm...back down at 10pm.

I'm guessing I just don't have enough warmth for carbonation to happen in 3-4 weeks, huh?

Back