not distilling related...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The refractometer will not read accurately after the yeast start converting the sugar to alcohol.

well i've been hanging around here for 4 years, and to tell you the truth...before i learned that, and learned that i could use that fact to calculate how much ABV something had not knowing the OG by comparing a hydro reading AND refrac reading....i never even had a refrac because i thought BRIX was only for sissy wine drinkers... ;) :mug:

i punched it into a calc for fermenting wort where i knew the OG, AND BRIX...and trusted the calc to be at least a good guess...

and if i knew the hydro reading and BRIX i could solve for OG....pretty cool stuff! (at least so far it's been pretty acurate for me when i double check?)

When I'm making a batch of whatever, I use both tools and record the differences. I put a little "r" or "h" like you would for exponents in my records. That way I can refer back to notes and just use the refractometer and not even worry about using conversions because of the alc content.

Yes, because potatoes are a big hassle to use. The amount of alcohol that you get for the mess snd volume of potatoes that you use just isn’t worth it. There are distilleries that make excellent potato vodka (which I prefer), mostly in Poland. For a home distiller it would be a major pain in the ass. Check out Jessie on Still It (youtube). He does a run of potato vodka, but mainly shows how to work with potatoes. Flaked corn works great with Barley…the Barley enzymes break down the starches in the corn and bring out the sugars for fermentation. 150-155F for an hour. You could go further with Glucoamylase (follow instructions on packaging, then add more) and Amyloglucosidase to break down unfermentable sugars (polymers and maltrose) 1-3 ml / 5 gallons into fermentable glucose. So I would say that potatoes, for any purpose in brewing need enzymes from either malted grain or supplemented to be worth anything in alcohol production.
As far as using potatoes for a nutrient in hard seltzer, I couldn’t say :)

TITOS Vodka. ( I think it's spelt correctly) made in Pa from potatoes. Pretty good stuff. I've made my own but sorry the hassle wasn't worth it. Not when Titos went down so smooth. Whiskey, different story as that can be basically conjured to your individual tastes. Caramels, roasts, smoked oak ect. Vodka is pretty straightforward. Non flavored vodka anyway. Try Titos and you might find the convience way more rewarding then then the process. Again, just saying, cheers!

If I had to put a label on it, that would take the fun out of it :D

i suppose for some i like having fun as a 4th grade educated adult trying to figure out all the cool buttons on scientific calculator though....

that way i get the 4th grade reaction of "hey, i'm smart!" ;) :mug:

Back