Not clear on extactly which Grain to buy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
I'm looking at this Recipe, Originally I wanted to do the AG but I think my pot won't be big enough and i'll have to do a Partial Mash.

Is there a difference between

German Pilsner Malt (2-row) AND Canadian 2-Row Malt

because that's what my LHBS sells..?

Pilsner is generally less modified and probably slightly lighter in color than the Canadian. Many people do 90 minute boils when using Pilsner malt to drive off DMS precursors...although I've been told that with today's malting process, it really isn't necessary anymore.

Yes there is a difference. Some would say more than others. Get the pilsner for that recipe, but the Canadian 2 row wouldn't be that different IMO

German pilsner malt is a light pilsner malt, made usually by Weyermann. The Canadian two-row is darker.

Most US style beers would use the Canadian two-row, while many German beer styles and Belgian styles would use the pilsner malt.

For a hefeweizen style beer, I'd get the pilsner malt.

Yes, there's a fairly significant difference.

Pilsner malt is, well, pilsner malt. It's based on 2-row (which is why it has "(2-row)" in the name), but is a bit paler (I think) than standard 2-row. It also typically contributes more DMS to your brew, that's usually pretty easily defeated by doing a 90 minute boil instead of a typical 60. The finished beer tends to come out more pale in color, and lighter in flavor.

So you LHBS doesn't have ANY Pilsner malt?

Back