not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan82nf

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I have a red ale kit i made using nottingham ale yeast and it has been bottled for 2 weeks and there is absolutely no carbonation. i have made many similar kits with no issue but never with nottingham yeast...can anyone tell me how to solve this issue or if nottingham is a slower acting yeast or something?

Thanks

Dan

Did you remember to add priming sugar?

Try warming them up a bit (want about 70*F) and give a couple more weeks. If it's a bigger beer, it may take longer. Notty works around the same pace as other yeasts for carbing in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are tons of reasons.

Did you remember to add the priming sugar (Once, I got six bottles into the bottling before remembering that I hadn't)? Did you add too little? Is the ABV unusually high? Did you kill the yeast at some point (too much heat)? Are you using flip-top bottles (old gaskets can leak)? Are you using screw-top bottles (sometimes the bottlecap doesn't seal)?

There are a few ways to fix it. The easiest is to wait and hope. You could try force-carbonation with a Soda Stream. Most of the other methods are harsher and can result in staling, but if it's the difference between drinkable and not-drinkable ...

Back