NOT a Hard Seltzer guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
Made my first (and probably only) batch of hard seltzer for a party I am having, but I wasn't sure of the best way to carbonate it in my kegging system. Everything I read says to carbonate at about 30psi. About how long do I carb at 30psi (or do I leave it there permanently)? I am getting mixed opinions. What PSI should I dispense/serve it at? I have had it at 30psi for a week and now even if I vent and set it to 5psi, the pour comes out with a lot of foam/head and then after a few minutes it settles down and seems like it has zero carbonation. Any ideas where I am screwing up? Please help this Seltzer Novice!

It’s way way over carbonated. It’s usually 30 psi for 24 hours then vent and set to serving pressure. Serving pressure is driven by your line size and length but should be around 8-10 psi.

I just over carbonated a beer last week and fought it. The only way I was able to get it to pour was vent the keg switch the gas to the liquid side, turn to 10 psi. Wait for keg to fill, remove the gas then vent the keg. I had to repeat the process 4 times before it worked.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/overcarbed-keg-heres-an-instant-solution.127655/
I didn’t use a sounding valve.

So I have no plans on getting 100 feet of serving line. I just don't really know what level of carbonation I should be shooting for in this type of beverage? And whether I need to vary it for serving or whether I can keep it the same for each (carbing and serving)?

So I have no plans on getting 100 feet of serving line. I just don't really know what level of carbonation I should be shooting for in this type of beverage? And whether I need to vary it for serving or whether I can keep it the same for each (carbing and serving)?

I like mine carbed up like soda/soda water. It's great at 30 psi, and I never change it. I serve my seltzer water the same way. If you like yours less fizzy, you could certainly use a lower psi.
Mine is at approximately 4 volumes of co2:
1599073112889.png

what ID"? important! ;)

when I talk about “beer line” I always mean 3/16”. Sorry for the confusion. With 1/4”, you would need much more.

Ha. The reason I asked is I have 4 10’ lines and I struggle with that.

I had
5F3711F2-DD3D-4C4D-9CAC-1BAB7C52EA52.jpeg
some bevflex that is a bit more rigid that I used to use for root beer and it’s easier to deal with. But of course it was tossed when I quit with the root beer because I couldn’t get the flavor out. But that would probably be your best bet.

here’s mine right now:

when I talk about “beer line” I always mean 3/16”. Sorry for the confusion. With 1/4”, you would need much more.

mmm, hmm, but i ended up with 1/4" before i found internet forums, because that's what all the fittings are for QD's and picnic taps and stuff.....

I have 3/16" serving line and probably about 8' of it for my picnic tap (which is what I am using). So how many miles of it would I need to serve at 30psi? Is it even doable for me to keep it at 30psi, but when I want to serve it, vent it and then set it to some other serving PSI (and what)? Or is that not even an option?

Yooper just said she’s uses 25’ of 3/16” line at 30 psi and posted a balancing chart.

Yooper just said she’s uses 25’ of 3/16” line at 30 psi and posted a balancing chart.

Yeah, sorry, I guess that really isn't an option for me. My other question about carbing and serving pressure is what I am most interested in pursuing...."Is it even doable for me to keep it at 30psi, but when I want to serve it, vent it and then set it to some other serving PSI (and what)? Or is that not even an option?"

i thought her pic looked a little off balance? ;)

EvenMajorBantamrooster-max-1mb.gif

edit: and i post that with appreciation...i don't think i could even slowly, and carefully walk acorss a balance beam with out falling off....lol

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, I guess that really isn't an option for me. My other question about carbing and serving pressure is what I am most interested in pursuing...."Is it even doable for me to keep it at 30psi, but when I want to serve it, vent it and then set it to some other serving PSI (and what)? Or is that not even an option?"

So is it safe for me to assume if I want to carb at 30psi, unless I buy twenty-some feet of dispensing beverage line, there would be no way for me to pour a well carbonated glass of hard seltzer? I was hoping I could simply leave the gas on it all the time at 30psi, but when I want to serve I would vent it and then serve with no gas on it or just a very low PSI setting. Has anyone tried that successfully or does it simply not work?

Back