Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered a couple of times. They have always been quick. Last order was missing a part (manufacturer's fault). I emailed them about it the night I opened the box. I had the missing part along with a free beer glass in 3 days. Good service.

My girlfriend is brewing a historical IPA and ordered 2lbs of pellet EKG hops and 17lbs of Warminster marris otter (which is awesome btw). The order came and the Warminster is in 17 1lb bags lol. This was more amusing to me that bad....but we'll see how irritating it is on brew day as I have to open each one and dump it into the mill lol. The hops shipped were 2lbs of whole leaf EKG. So we emailed Northern Brewer about it and they got us 2lbs of pellet EKG withing 2-3 days. So basically we got a free $50 worth of whole leaf hops out of the deal... I always order my online orders weeks in advance so nothing was held up by the mistake...now the biggest issue I have is storing the whole leaf hops in the freezer since the bags are so big :D

I have shopped with AHS, Hops Direct, Amazon and eBay, and have been happy with all of them. But NB has gotten more orders from me than all the others combined because they are so awesome.

I think they differentiate themselves from the competition with cheaper pricing, excellent LME, Hop Union hops, fast shipping, and custom orders.

On my last order, I asked for a crush "suitable for BIAB" on some of my grain because I had a feeling the order would beat the grain mill that I had ordered a couple of days prior. The order I received was the best crush I have ever seen. If I can get my malt mill to crush that well, I will be extremely happy.

I have been critical of NB timeliness of shipping in the past. Recently I placed an order with them. The product shipped within 36 hours of the order being placed. While it isn't the three hour turn that I am accustomed to with Williams, it is a damned site better than the week+ wait times before shipping that I have previously experienced.

Same day is great. 36 hours is reasonable. A week or more is unacceptable. I'm glad to see that Northern is now in the reasonable range. And that they stock low profile sanke connections and Maris Otter extract...

They've forgotten to put an ice pack with my yeast twice now, and also didn't add DME to a kit I ordered this last time.

Anyone else having issues with them?

I ordered some stuff recently for kegging. It was mostly good. On of the worm clamps didn't have the actually gear part that tightens the clamp. I let them know about it. They offered to send me a new one or credit my account. I ended up with a 5 dollar credit. Not a bad experience, but on the other hand, if you count out 10 worm clamps, how did u miss one that was missing the gear?

I was a little annoyed with how long it took for them to ship my order that I place this Monday.

The order status online mentioned it was a partially filled for 4 days straight, called this Thursday spoke to somebody and mentioned they had a glitch in the system and would push the order out today--Ok, no problem I can understand that. Checked Friday afternoon and mentioned my order was finally billed but not shipped. Called again and they finally shipped out my order on Friday afternoon. Jeez. Now I wont be receiving my order till next Friday. :(

I used to order stuff from them all the time about 5 years ago and they were always very prompt with processing my order within 1 business day.

They've forgotten to put an ice pack with my yeast twice now, and also didn't add DME to a kit I ordered this last time.

Anyone else having issues with them?

The last two packages I received had ice packs with the yeast, but they were not only melted, the inside of the insulated envelope wasn't noticeably cooler than room temp. The most recent time, it was very, very hot. But that wasn't the case the previous time.

I used to order a bunch from Northern Brewer, and was always happy with their service. Once I was sent the wrong yeast, I called, and a correct yeast was overnighted to me. Last week I placed a order over the weekend, so it would ship the first part of the week, and my yeast would not sit in a 100+ UPS truck all weekend. I have always done this with NB in the past, with no problems. My order sat in fulfillment all week, and shipped on Friday to arrive Tuesday. Looks like NB is adopting Midwest's crappy shipping. Looks like I am going to be shopping for a new online source for ingredients to supplement my soon to be LHBS

My order sat in fulfillment all week, and shipped on Friday to arrive Tuesday. Looks like NB is adopting Midwest's crappy shipping. Looks like I am going to be shopping for a new online source for ingredients to supplement my soon to be LHBS

That sucks. But I have to say, I just ordered some equipment on Saturday, then emailed and said I wanted to add something. They emailed back Sunday morning asking me to call. I did, added some ingredients with no trouble, including Galaxy hops that are on limited distribution. Today, Monday, the order shipped.

It makes me think some things are more "in stock" than others.

NB is my semi-LHBS. My extended family lives in and about Minneapolis and we visit there semi-annually.

My experience thus far has been that they have excellent service. Over Father's Day they were running a promotion where you buy $100 gift card and get a $20 gift card free. The $100 gift card arrived by email quickly, but the $20 card did not show up. I gave it a week or so, and then contacted customer service by email. A quick and friendly response (on Saturday morning no less) resolved that issue. I had another email exchange when I had trouble getting one of the gift cards to go through and again great service (in that case, we decided the issue was that I was reading out a 20 character code over the phone to a person in a busy store).

Since we're sometimes in the area, shipping hasn't been my something I have any experience with.

I placed an order with NB on Tuesday afternoon. I received an email early this morning to the effect that the order...$130.00+ of four partial mash or all grain kits plus ingredients for a batch of Caramel Amber Ale...was shipped yesterday and should arrive at my front door tomorrow, courtesy of Big Brown. I don't think that's too bad of a turn-around time.

glenn514:mug:

I just recently purchased 2 bubblers from Northern Brewer from their BOGO offer. I got them in the mail today and noticed one of them had a questionable mark on it. Not knowing if this was normal or would cause any harm, I emailed northern brewer for assistance. Before I got my email response from them ( which I got only 10 minutes after emailing them the first time) I received a notification email that another one was being shipped to me. This shows me that they are always willing to go above and beyond to make sure the customer gets the product they ordered. Im sure the "blemished" bubbler will work fine but they did not want to take any chances. For this reason, along with their prices and fast shipping, I will continue to a repeat and HAPPY Nothern Brewer customer :D

If I have a recipe can they build it or do I have to buy all ingredients to the nearest lb or ounce?

If I have a recipe can they build it or do I have to buy all ingredients to the nearest lb or ounce?

I would Email them about it and they might be able to put together a custom grain bill. They are more than accommodating so I wouldnt doubt they would do this for you. Otherwise you have to order specialty malt by the pound

Northern brewer has always been great to me, HOWEVER I have advanced to where I need to buy my own grain bill, so I currently use Austin Homebrew.

My starter kit was from NB, and I'd buy the same one again and again. Great prices. I do miss the 7.99 shipping, though.

I didn't see a thread on this company. Sorry if there is one.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/

I have only bought two things from this site and both times have had an issue with their shipping. Upon receiving the order confirmation email it states I will receive a email regarding tracking information shortly. I never receive the tracking information and I cannot figure out how to track orders via their website and order number. The only information I have for this most recent one is that the order was processed on December 5th. Frustrating when I'm at a standstill and uncertain when I will receive parts.

I ordered from Northern last week and the package was literally at my door the next day before 1 pm. I have never had an issue with them, i always get a receipt and shipping info is emailed promptly.

Maybe check your spam folder?? I've always been able to track every order i've ever made through them. Shoot them an email and see what's up, their customer service is pretty good

Maybe check your spam folder?? I've always been able to track every order i've ever made through them. Shoot them an email and see what's up, their customer service is pretty good
I checked my spam folder with no luck. I sent an email this morning to their order info email but have not heard back. I received my last package but it took a while and I never knew when or if it was coming. Like I said, frustrating when I have carboys doing a cold crash waiting for their keg connections.

i hear ya, normally i've had really good luck with them. Very frustrating trying to plan anything while waiting for ingredients/equip to arrive.

I have never had any troubles with them, actually anything but troubles with them. I received a carboy from them that I had a question about and without anything else, they sent me a new one at their cost. Shipping is always really fast and I get my orders within three days of ordering.

I didn't see a thread on this company. Sorry if there is one.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/

I have only bought two things from this site and both times have had an issue with their shipping. Upon receiving the order confirmation email it states I will receive a email regarding tracking information shortly. I never receive the tracking information and I cannot figure out how to track orders via their website and order number. The only information I have for this most recent one is that the order was processed on December 5th. Frustrating when I'm at a standstill and uncertain when I will receive parts.

The Northern Brewer review thread was half-way down the first page of review threads. I've merged this thread with that one.

For everyone, please add your reviews to the existing review threads, doing this means that others can find all the reviews easily.

So they finally responded saying they are backed up on shipment of UPS ground orders and my order "should be shipped in the coming days with UPS tracking information to be emailed on the evening of your order's shipment. Sorry for the delay!"

They could have notified me of this instead of leaving me in the dark. I requested a more accurate ETA or I will have to cancel my order. The whole things seems questionable when my money is hostage and my beer awaiting.

I've used them a dozen times or so. Always ships super fast for me and comes in a few days. Only time shipping was a little longer I had about 50 oz of different hops and a bunch of yeast, sanitizer, and other random things I needed. Still I ordered that in the morning and instead of shipping same day like it usually does it shipped the following day. Would definitely recommend them.

So they finally responded saying they are backed up on shipment of UPS ground orders and my order "should be shipped in the coming days with UPS tracking information to be emailed on the evening of your order's shipment. Sorry for the delay!"

They could have notified me of this instead of leaving me in the dark. I requested a more accurate ETA or I will have to cancel my order. The whole things seems questionable when my money is hostage and my beer awaiting.

Super frustrating, no doubt. I'm glad my experience with them has been very positive. Their customer service is generally very good, so I recommend calling if you have these problems again... If you order from them again.

But they shouldn't be charging you until the order ships. And money being held "hostage" by inventory, goods in transit, and open accounts receivable is called working capital when you're running a business. It should be minimized and managed, but if you're any smaller than Walmart you can't entirely avoid it. It's not criminal. Just business.

Homebrewing was legalized in Alabama in May of 2013, leading to me being interested enough to give it a try. Being newly legalized, with high-profile raids no companies that sold home brew equipment in 2012, there is no network of local home brew shops. Naturally I turned to my old friend Google to find an Internet based HBS. After researching numerous online HBSs, I decided that NB had the most informative website (they give the recipes/brewing instructions on the website so you can use the software of your choosing to see how the recipe might turn out) and the best prices I could find.

After using NB for about 5 months, the inevitable happened; UPS destroyed my shipment. The box was ripped and taped, but the contents were fine. Except that everything that was packed did not get delivered. My packet of US-05 was missing. I called NB to ask if they could pretty please send me a replacement yeast and possibly have a strong word with UPS and using my package as a soccer ball. As expected NB is replacing the yeast. Quite unexpectedly they included a free pint glass for the inconvenience that another company caused both of us.

Now I have another reason to consider a company who's nearest location is a whole country away as my local home brew shop.

My only complaint with NB is their order processing speed. I understand you can't control UPS shipping times but placing on order on Sunday night (grains, hops, yeast) and nearly 72 hours later it still hasn't shipped? That is too slow. I will no longer order from them and instead will order from a place that can process an order in a timely fashion. They ruined a perfectly good 3-day weekend of brewing. :mad:

My only complaint with NB is their order processing speed. I understand you can't control UPS shipping times but placing on order on Sunday night (grains, hops, yeast) and nearly 72 hours later it still hasn't shipped? That is too slow. I will no longer order from them and instead will order from a place that can process an order in a timely fashion. They ruined a perfectly good 3-day weekend of brewing. :mad:

Did you add any addition comments to the order? IF so, they pull those aside and will take multiple days to ship.

Did you add any addition comments to the order? IF so, they pull those aside and will take multiple days to ship.

No comments at all. A simple order of grains, hops, and yeast for 3 batches of beer. Nothing was out of stock. But maybe they've blackballed me since I cancelled my last order. Who knows. I will not be ordering from them again.

No comments at all. A simple order of grains, hops, and yeast for 3 batches of beer. Nothing was out of stock. But maybe they've blackballed me since I cancelled my last order. Who knows. I will not be ordering from them again.

that is strange. I have ordered from them multiple times and always have it within 3 days. I just placed a large order with them today so we will see how that one goes.

My first online order was from NB, when I realized they had a reasonable price on 50lb sacks (of Rahr, anyway). Shipped for like $60. I've found better local prices since, but that's the best online price, by far.

NB has always shipped in acceptable times for me. I have been very pleased with everything I have ever ordered from them. Their prices seem to be fairly comparable with other online retailers and a lot better than those of my not so local HBS!

You may want to call them tomorrow. I placed my order this morning and already got a tracking number, it will be delivered by friday. I had about 20 different things ordered, grains, hops, fermenters, sugars, bottle wax,etc. They might be able to through a gift certificate your way for taking so long. Just tell them the truth that you had planned to brew this weekend and cant now because of them. They are always good about making upset clients happy in the end. Call them! :D

You may want to call them tomorrow. I placed my order this morning and already got a tracking number, it will be delivered by friday. I had about 20 different things ordered, grains, hops, fermenters, sugars, bottle wax,etc. They might be able to through a gift certificate your way for taking so long. Just tell them the truth that you had planned to brew this weekend and cant now because of them. They are always good about making upset clients happy in the end. Call them! :D

They finally shipped it today. I'm just done with the whole thing. I've called them before when this happened and it doesn't appear to have made a difference. And considering that your order was filled and shipped in the same day? A gift certificate isn't going to enable me to brew this weekend. I'm out. I'm taking my loyalty elsewhere.

They finally shipped it today. I'm just done with the whole thing. I've called them before when this happened and it doesn't appear to have made a difference. And considering that your order was filled and shipped in the same day? A gift certificate isn't going to enable me to brew this weekend. I'm out. I'm taking my loyalty elsewhere.

Fair enough. It may be what you ordered though. I recently ordered Wyeast 3726 from another HB website and it took a month to get to me. It didnt say it wasnt in stock or back ordered, but they didnt have it at the time and had to wait to get more. Check the date of the yeast when you get them. If its within a couple weeks old, id say thats what caused it.

Fair enough. It may be what you ordered though. I recently ordered Wyeast 3726 from another HB website and it took a month to get to me. It didnt say it wasnt in stock or back ordered, but they didnt have it at the time and had to wait to get more. Check the date of the yeast when you get them. If its within a couple weeks old, id say thats what caused it.

I've had good service from NB. But if the site says the yeast is in stock, it should be in the fridge in the warehouse or distribution center.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

I've had good service from NB. But if the site says the yeast is in stock, it should be in the fridge in the warehouse or distribution center.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

This was my frustration with the other company when this happened. Im just glad I eventually got it and it was fresh.

Last night while capping my first hombrew (Bavarian Hefeweizen) extract from Northern Brewer I broke the capper on my first one. I had already filled all the bottles so I had 2 cases of beer filled setting on my counter top with no way to cap them. Well this morning I sent Northern brewer an e-mail explaining what had happened. Well within 10 min I got a response from them. My apologies for the trouble with your capper & its effect on your batch. I'll have a replacement capper & Bavarian Hefeweizen kit sent out to arrive via UPS by Tuesday.

cheers!

Back