Northern Brewer Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild

Reaction score
I ordered the Yeast Starter Kit from Northern Brewer along with a stirbar and foam stopper. 2 weeks went by and I called NB and asked where my package was. They said it was sent back by UPS because they attempted to deliver the package and it was refused and they couldn’t get an alternate address (I never heard from them). So I asked NB if I could have the package and gave them an alternate address just incase. 2 weeks later I called (yesterday) and they said that they credited my account for the product only, charged me for the shipping that I never got then closed the order because I sent it back. So I asked the young man if I could get my order filled and he said I could but that they’d have to charge me again for the product and then charge me again for the shipping.

I've got a homemade stirplate and nothing to put on it. Does anyone know where I can get a 2L Erlenmeyer flask, stir bar and foam stopper online?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=laboratory+supply&near=Phoenix,+AZ&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1[/URL]

Google Phoenix Laboratory Supplies. Science labs and Biologists use that stuff all the time. It looks like there are a couple in phoenix

Bummer about the shipping! I wouldn't give up on NB though. I order from them fairly often and receive my packages within 24 hours using normal shipping. It is quite incredible really.

I would look in an American Science and Surplus if you ave those by you.

Sorry to hear it.

I have had had four shipments from NB and all were handled very well and quickly. They will be my go-to mailorder house going forward.

Love that cheap flat-rate shipping...

I just got my first northern brewer catalog in the mail last night and let me tell you, I will be ordering most everything from them! Their prices are unbelievable; especially compared to my LHBS. Their catalog doesn't mention anything about shipping prices though. Any one know how they are?

IrregularPulse said:
I just got my first northern brewer catalog in the mail last night and let me tell you, I will be ordering most everything from them! Their prices are unbelievable; especially compared to my LHBS. Their catalog doesn't mention anything about shipping prices though. Any one know how they are?
It is a $7.99 flat rate. I just ordered 72 lbs worth the equipment from them, it was 3 huge packages and cost me a grand total of $7.99 to ship. It was my first order from them, but I was very happy with it and will be using them again.

I first ordered from NB when AHS was out of a certain type of hops I needed. Since then, I've placed several orders with them and have had no problems, so they get a :rockin: from me. Sorry to hear about your problems though.

Sounds like you need to clear up your problem with UPS. You should have atleast gotten a notice that they attempted delivery. I'm sorry you are having trouble when ordering from Northern Brewer but it sounds like your rant should be for UPS not NB. It sounds like NB attempted to ship twice to you without success. The only complaint I would have had is that they did not try to contact you when the package returned.

Just received an order from NB that was quick and well packaged. But that is only a 1 time experience.

Craig

Sounds like UPS is trying to deliver to the wrong address. I'd go to them and get it straightened out. You should have at least got a sticker on your door when they tried to deliver.

My beef with NB is that the prices on their web site are often 10-30% higher than what is stated in their catalog, and their prices for hops are among the highest around.
Also, when I comparison shop between them and Midwest, the latter is often cheaper despite charging the full amount of shipping. It seems as if NB basically added the cost of shipping to the base price of their products.

Wow, I'm surprised anyone is having issues with NB. I've ordered from 4-5 online outfits (the usual suspects) and I have found NB to be the best. Looking through my order history, I have spent about $955 with NB in the last 7 months, and I haven't regretted one cent.

UPS, on the other hand, has not always done right by me. :( Fortunately, none of my UPS maladies have involved beer equipment or ingredients. :)

ArcaneXor said:
My beef with NB is that the prices on their web site are often 10-30% higher than what is stated in their catalog, and their prices for hops are among the highest around.

:confused:

Trust me, I spent plenty of time reading NB's paper catalogue (great bathroom material), and plenty of time on their website, and have never noticed any difference on any equipment. Of course, hops (and to a lesser extent, grains) may be a slightly different story, but we are in the midst of a wee hop shortage (and grain prices have increased everywhere, as well). Especially if the catalogue wasn't the most recent, I can certainly understand why they might need to bump up prices to reflect the current market.

I've always found NB's prices to at least be very competitive with the other major online retailers, and I've had zero issues with any shipment. Can't speak highly enough of them.

SixFoFalcon said:
LOL, so I'm not the only one with a Northern Brewer catalog in each bathroom?! :D

Hell, my daughter (3yo) will sit on the potty and point out the beers she likes!

She's got an affinity for amber ales... :D

I'm another guy who like Northern. Used to be a strict AHS guy but with the hops "problems" I jump back and forth. Had a slight misunderstanding with my first Northern order and they QUICKLY corrected the problem and gave me a $10 gift certificate.

I like Northerns selection of hops but Austins selection of recipe kits...

wild said:
I've got a homemade stirplate and nothing to put on it. Does anyone know where I can get a 2L Erlenmeyer flask, stir bar and foam stopper online?

Wild, I hate to post a kudo for my old boss, (since Jeffy is an @$$hat!!) but Brewers Connection has the 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask.

A wee bit of warning though, I got a 25% discount there, and I can get stuff cheaper at AHS! Including shipping!

steve

+1 with NB. They're great. They responded quickly if you have a question and more than once went out of their way to help me out when in a bind.

I prefer them to my LHBS - NB is more knowledgeable.

I've never noticed a price difference between the catalog and online - although sometimes they do seem to send older catalogs with my order.

And yes, the catalogs make great bathroom reading! I thought I was the only one....heh. :)

I got my catalog last week and a lot of the prices in it are cheaper than online when I went to fill my wish list cart to see how many arms and legs to sell to get everything I wanted

No date on the catalog only the shipping label. 2/19/08 It has a robot in a lab coat on the front with 3 rows of different colored carboys

Back