Northern Brewer Partial Mash + Cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenBat

Reaction score
Greetings All!

You guys are all extremely helpful and I enjoy learning something new every time i stop by here. I am more or less graduating myself from extract to partial partial mash in my cramped nyc apt with an idea of how to tweak a northern brewer kit. Also, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place, MODs please move this if this belongs somewhere else.

I have done my best to research the addition of cinnamon to the boil, primary and the quantity as well. There seems to be a lot of opinions on how to go about this but my best options appear to be adding the cinnamon to the end of the boil at maybe 10 minutes left or the primary.

My goal is to give a undertone of cinnamon that does not take over the oatmeal stout but ads some depth. I am still not sure is which of these two methods will allow me to give an undertone of cinnamon that does not overpower the beer. I was thinking maybe 1-2 large cinnamon sticks for a 5 gallons.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Please find the Northern Brewer Partial Mash 5 Gallon Kit below for reference:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 2.5 lbs Maris Otter
- 0.5 lbs Black Malt
- 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.5 lbs flaked oats

FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup
- 1 lb Briess Dark dry malt extract

HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 2 oz US Fuggle (60 min)

YEAST
Wyeast 1945 NB NeoBritannia

I generally add cinnamon at flameout, or in the keg. It's more volatile than other spices and boiling will drive off the flavor - which is why many folks add to primary or later. I've found that at flameout I capture most of the flavor/aroma, and then the cinnamon settles out during fermentation with the trub. In the keg, it floats for a while and then eventually drops through.

So no heat or I will lose most in not all effects. Flameout is best, but anytime after that is good as well. GOT IT! :mug:

The most consistent thing I have found is cinnamon is very strong and I am afraid of going overboard because I dont want it to take over. Any way you guys can help establish some sort of cieling to where cinnamon starts taking over ?

Thanks Again

My recipes have has a TBSP or less of ground cinnamon - you'll need to do a little research to understand how stick and ground substitute for one another. I did a Mexican mole porter with 1 TBSP, and a couple of spiced Christmas ales with 2 tsp. In both cases the cinnamon was initially pronounced, but faded to a subtle note after about two weeks in the keg.

Just the kinda of real world experience I was looking for. I will take this glorious information into account and get myself some ground cinnamon to keep it simple.

thanks

How did it go? I've got an oatmeal cookie brown ale kit (from Northern Brewer, coincidentally) that calls for a 1 oz cinnamon stick a flamout but I'm worried it will overpower it.

Back